Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repairing Your Car's Electrical Connections

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Submitted by Garth

Tools needed
  1. Carefully, identify the cable or cables to be repaired.
  2. Remove the positive terminal of the battery and make sure it can't come in contact with the battery, i.e. use a cable tie or string to ensure it's out of the way.
  3. Carefully, remove the cable from any protection it might be in, e.g. any flexible conduit or tape for example.
  4. Using a pair of pliers cut the cable where the break is.
  5. With the pliers or a sharp stanley knife cut about 10mm or 1cm of the insulation off the cable at both ends. (I know you all hear this, but don't cut yourself if you can)
  6. Twist both ends of the cable back together, making sure that there are no loose strands visible.
  7. With your pliers or side cutters, you want to make sure it's nice and tidy at the tip, so cut of any odd looking strands off.
  8. Now using the soldering iron or hand held gas bottle simply heat up the cable, (when the cable is ready, it will change colour, it goes from a copper look to a glazed steel look).
  9. Unroll some solder off the roll, and run it down the cable, it will bead down the bottom, make sure all the copper is covered. And try not to burn any insulation if at all possible.
  10. If it beads simply tap the cable with your plier's and it will drip off.
  11. After about 5 minutes or so (cooling time) using some insulation tape and wrap it around where you soldered. Don't be afraid to use plenty after all you can't do any harm.

There you have it, a simple way to do a repair on any electrical component on your car.

Step 12, Put the positive back on the battery.

V

vsv6toexpressvanboy

hey how u goin
i have recently put a vs v6 engine and gearbox into a mitsubishi express van. i have since lost my pinout and wiring diagrams for the holden engine and box, i was after the wiring diagrams as i have been having troubles when i sit on 100km/h in hot mode the gearbox neutralises an wanted to check the wiring. thanks i would much appreciate any info where to get the diagrams or the diagrams themselves.

Cheers please reply to [email protected]
much appreciated:bang: