Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repeat Crank Angle Sensor faults?

toranamike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SV6
Hey guys,

CAS failed on my VT commodore a few months ago, so I replaced it and the stalling/failing to start resolved itself.

Fast forward to last week, and I'm stalling/no starting again. Cleared the fault codes and ran them again and it's 46 and 47 again.

What could cause the CAS to fail again so soon? Any advice other than replacing it again?

Cheers!

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Is the balancer bolt still tight, loctite? Plugged in ok, clip not broken? Did you yank on the wires to remove it or are they rubbing somewhere and damaged? Um?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
if you loctite the balancer bolt, youll make baby jesus-mechanic cry.

The oem replacement has locktite on it already... Well not loctite but a thread sealer

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
I didnt put loctite on when I did mine because I didnt wanna do the dodgy beaker bar on the chassis rail crank her over trick again but the little bugger came loose after a month or so. Silly me I thought, I could see the original one had thread locker on it when I took it out so I just put medium strength (blue) on and bobs your uncys monkle.

I wonder if it was left hand thread it may tighten itself instead of loosen?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I didnt put loctite on when I did mine because I didnt wanna do the dodgy beaker bar on the chassis rail crank her over trick again but the little bugger came loose after a month or so. Silly me I thought, I could see the original one had thread locker on it when I took it out so I just put medium strength (blue) on and bobs your uncys monkle.

I wonder if it was left hand thread it may tighten itself instead of loosen?

It's funny cause you are monkey!!

toranamike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SV6
Thanks guys.

When I put the replacement sensor in a couple of months ago, I got a genuine sensor and it had some thread sealer on it already, not sure if it was loctite or not.

I had another look at it last night (started without any problems and drove for a bit, gotta love intermittent faults!), and the balance bolt was still on pretty tight.. took 2 cranks to loosen it.

What I did notice was the balancer bolt (and a little bit of the sensor) had oil on it.. it wasn't swimming, but it was definitely oily. I'm guessing it's the timing case seal, so I will replace that... do you guys think the oil leak could contribute to the sensor faulting?