Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace Antenna Mast

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman sII 5ltr 1995 & VE SS V8 Commodore
VR Statesman 3/1995 304 model ok my antenna mast broke i have bought in (pic) new one how do i replace it or is it not replaceable and need complete new one?? Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6557.JPG
    IMG_6557.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 163

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think @vs-lover repairs the factory units.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I've never had any success replacing the factory masts. Have always had to purchase a complete motor/mast unit, either Aerpro for the VS, or OEM (at the time) for my VX GTS. Other members may have had better success.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I had to replace mine years ago in the VR. The fiddliest part is getting the antenna drive cable to commence feeding in at the correct point of rotation of the drum. I found that mine initially would only wind down about 70% but after raising and lowering it a few times it operated correctly. I think it had something to do with the clutch, which is the clunking sound you hear when the aerial is fully retracted. I'm guessing the drive sprocket is able to rotate to the point where the cut out switch operates with the aerial fully retracted, leaving the mast correctly installed.

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've never had any success replacing the factory masts. Have always had to purchase a complete motor/mast unit, either Aerpro for the VS, or OEM (at the time) for my VX GTS. Other members may have had better success.
Mmm should i just chance it or spend the extra $ for a new/reco one

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the motor is working fine as the old wire coathanger aerial, suppose i could chance it. How did you take out mast? I googled it apparently just anticlockwise turning

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
There's a whole lot more to doing this job properly so that it functions as it should. It's certainly not all beer and skittles as many suggest it is.

Especially now that all these masts and their base piece are well and truly corroded into place and require the unit to be totally disassembled so that the base can be removed from the brass mast tube.

I guess that's why I've found myself in a niche market doing these for many folks around the country that have the higher end vehicles and want to keep them original.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yep there's certainly a technique to it, otherwise everyone could just do it I guess.