Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace stock speakers in VZ

myhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ GTO
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I would like to replace all the stcok speakers in my VZ GTO.
Has anyone done this before, and or is it the same as in the sedans? If so, is removing the door trim necessary?
It does not look or sound like there are splits in the front, but I may be mistaken.
Any help in the right direction would be appreciaed.
Thanks.:thumbsup:

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
Gday, as far as the woofers in the doors are concerned theyre pretty straight forward of removing the trims to access the speakers and pods simply via removing a series of phillips head screws followed by the door handles and locking buttons, with the woofers be sure to note polarity before ya disconnect as u will need to know what is what when u connect ya new speakers up. in a sedan setup easy way to go is 6-6.5in coaxials for rear doors, for front run a 6-6.5in split setup, i have JL 6in splits and work a treat, but may i add there is a bit of work involved and should i say a great deal of work if u chose to replace wiring. the woofers are easy, tho u will find the tweeters a bit of a task so heres a writeup how jus to get in that area.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showpost.php?p=305939&postcount=16

now as for the parcel shelf if you have speakers to replace in this area you'll have to either look around on the forum or nicely ask for someone on the forum whos had experiance with those installs

vzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Door speakers

I have found that on the sedans the front door speakers can be changed without removing the door trim completely. If you remove the screws along the bottom of the door, 5 or 6 in total facing up and in toward the metal door frame, then unclip the front and back edge of the door. This provides enough space to get a phillips no2 stubby screwdriver in to remove the baskets.
It's better to remove the baskets, fit the new speakers and then replace the baskets with speakers in place. If you use 6.5 inch woofers the baskets will need to be butchered, a Dremel and a hot glue gun are your best friends here.
Remember that water can find its way into the door cavity so retaining the back of the basket will maintain its water deflecting role.
As for the tweeters, one screw per side and then lift up and back, they just clip out. The screw is on the outside behind the side air box duct covers.
Hope this helps, Steve

myhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ GTO
Thanks guys.
Will give this a go on the weekend.
I think I will retain original wiring as I have read on other posts that it is quite diificult to change.
Thanks once again.:yeah:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Ummmmm - just be aware myhsv - I think your speakers will be 2 ohm in the GTO. If you just replace them with 4 ohm speakers, the output power will be halved......

What speakers are you planning to install?

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
hrm i was unaware of this phreddy, what other differences are in these systems?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Phreddy said:
Ummmmm - just be aware myhsv - I think your speakers will be 2 ohm in the GTO. If you just replace them with 4 ohm speakers, the output power will be halved......

What speakers are you planning to install?
why ywould they use 2 ohm over 4? i know the obvious reasons, just wondering. also what sort of system is in the stock GTO? amps specs?

myhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ GTO
Now I am really confused!
I assumed, which I know is dangerous at times, that the Blaupunkt set up in the GTO would be exactly the same as in the sedan.
The only difference I thought was that there is a single speaker in each rear side panels> I assume that the sedan has a split system in the rear doors, maybe not. It looks like there are coaxials in the parcel shelf, have not tried to pull apart yet, as I was going to tackle front doors first.
As far as 2 ohm is concerned, have never seen 2 ohm used in a car before!
Appreciate your time in giving feedback Phreddy

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
ok what i suggest... have a look at the headunit... is it just the standard 6 disk (4ohm) or does it have a large centre knob on it with "premium" written onto the bottom of the headunit under the buttons? still questionable... dismantle door trim and pull out woofers have a look at the impedence or yeah see either holden service or a fully qualified car audio fitter.

myhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ GTO
Thanks for that.
No ,it does not have premium on it, thus as you say, they must be the 4 ohms which is great!
I have a set of Boston splits with crossovers.. Do you know of I can use the existing wiring and gust to via the crossovers?
Thanks