Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace suspension

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
My car is a 2007 VE V series with original FE2 suspension. I have 20" wheels. The car has 190k on the clock.

I think this is a stupid question but does the suspension need to be replaced for both front and back ? It has always been a stiff ride and still is.. I can't specifically tell if they need to be replaced or not.

I am looking for a smooth ride over the standard sports feel.

Can someone please recommend a good replacement for a smooth ride ?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You sure it's original susp?

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
No actually.. how can I tell ? I bought it second hand and it had only done 50k.

I have had all services done..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There's a date stamp on the bottom of the original struts. It will be original, most cars still have original struts.
Yes you need new ones. Going back to smaller wheels will help the ride too.

TAS1981

Reaction score
Been there... I just replaced the struts with original ones, not the springs. The ride is just stiff. You’d need to potentially grab the suspension off something lower in the spec range. The wheels I think are the main issue as well.

Basically stock suspension is pretty stiff and with the age of ours everything rattles a bit so it feels a little crashy.

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
So keep the FE2 ? Should I consider 1.5 ? What do you mean by "lower in the spec range" ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
He means something less sporty, like a berlina or omega.
Did it feel hard when you bought it at 50k? I'd just put some decent gas shocks in it and some 17 or 18 inch wheels. I wouldn't touch genuine shocks though.

kyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE CALAIS V
The 07 Calais was the only one that came with FE2.0.. Holden never used them before and they never used them again in Calais because they said Calais drivers didn't like the stiff sports suspension.. I didn't mind it at first because I felt it had better handling.. but now I would prefer the smoother ride.

When you say decent gas shocks.. can you recommend some .. that would suite my car and the sort of ride I am looking for ?

TAS1981

Reaction score
It's probably easier to think about it in terms of what the shocks actually are instead of FE etc. For my SSV I replaced with Munroe GT gas shocks which are OEM. These are stiff. I think if you replaced with Omega suspension for example you would get a softer ride...I am not sure what the OEM shocks are there though. That may or may not get you your desired outcome. Certainly running smaller alloys with higher tyre walls would add comfort to the ride.

One thing worth bearing in mind and it is something I have noticed since refreshing my shocks, is that as you replace some individual components you may highlight other areas of weakness in the suspension system. I am not 100% on this but I am fairly certain that although I have cured the "bounce" I still have rattley suspension and I think is because I should really have replaced both the sway bar links and bushes as well to get the full benefit of the refresh. Of course this no doubt still would have highlighted the many interior dash rattles etc...its a never ending story lol!

Having just bought a second car virtually brand new the difference in the feel and compliance of the new suspension is night and day. Sounds obvious but it is a system of many parts and replacing just one of those parts may not lead to the desired outcome. If I would have known this prior to getting the shocks replaced I would have paid more to have the bushes and links done at the same time. I am fairly convinced this would have resulted in a better outcome for very little extra cost. I am also firmly in the "go OEM" camp and would not use the much harder aftermarket bushes but the more compliant rubber original parts that were designed with the whole system in mind. Sure if you are going to improve every aspect of the suspension and you are looking for a firmer ride....but most people are not unless they are track warriors.