Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replaced serpentine belt but car doesn't start

J

jdowning

Hi all
new to forum and pretty minimal auto knowledge

My serpentine drive belt on a commodore V6 (standard) VT, 99, snapped while driving, lighting up the dashboard. Obvious consequences - nothing worked and had to manouver to side of road. Got car towed home.

Fitted new serpentine belt, all good in terms of correct fit etc, have haynes manaul, so it is a good guide.

Car does not want to start now.
It attempts to turn over, ie: the belt goes around (and all the pulleys, pumps, cranks etc move also,) but the car does not start.

When the belt snapped, it also knocked out the fuel pump sensor, I have plugged this back in.

That is all I can think of in terms of what I can see.

I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can pass on however basic and straightforward it may be.

cheers
James

R

rattattack1313

Welcome to the Madhouse, mate......... try dissconnecting the battery for a few minutes....... (have the code handy for stereo if needed !!)....... that should re-set the comp in it.........

J

jdowning

thanks mate
I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes
cheers

J

jdowning

hi again
i tried the technique you suggested
it definitely made a better start up noise and the fuel pump actually wirred over this time.
However, still no luck.
Do you (or anyone) have any other ideas.

cheers
James

Optimus_Prime

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 Clubsport R8
Your battery might be flat? Try some jumper leads.

Same sort of thing happend to my old VS... belt and everything tried to turn, made it around once, then died, didnt even make the clicking/tapping it usually does when the battery is flat.

Hooked it up to my old mans VX (engine running) and let it sit for a min, then had to rev his engine a touch while trying to start mine... and it worked.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
when i knocked out the fuel pums sensor make sure it didnt loosen anything else.
Check to see if it busted the oil pressure switch, should be at bottom left side pointing straight out with a blue wire going to it, make sure the wire is not busted from the flick.
other than that spend a bit of time looking over the front of the engine for loose/broken stuff

J

jdowning

chevy_big_block_bro said:
when i knocked out the fuel pums sensor make sure it didnt loosen anything else.
Check to see if it busted the oil pressure switch, should be at bottom left side pointing straight out with a blue wire going to it, make sure the wire is not busted from the flick.
other than that spend a bit of time looking over the front of the engine for loose/broken stuff

As far as I can tell, the blue wire is intact - the sensor is still attached to the blue wire. Does this affect the car's ability to start?

I will try the extra jump start idea as well revving the donor car while I attempt to get the VT to start. It may well be that the battery is slightly low. We had to wait for NRMA to arrive between 7pm and 10pm on a cold dark lonely side of the road :my:

It may have depleted the battery slightly. Would this affect the car's ability to start? The interior lights etc seem ok - that is, they work.

cheers
James

Optimus_Prime

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 Clubsport R8
Well by the time it came to jump starting, my battery i think was completely dead, only had to rev because my car needed a heap of charge i assume. I doubt just a slightly depleted battery would stop it turning over... would probably just struggle a bit before kicking in. Though you never know (the indicator on my battery was still green meaning 50-100% charge, though after 3 or so attempts to turn it over went black, meaning dead).

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
silly question, did you go over the alternator the right way

J

jdowning

LowVp said:
silly question, did you go over the alternator the right way
do you mean with the serpentine belt?

I am pretty sure I did - I used the Haynes Manual as a guide. But will check it over again just to make sure.

I haven't had a chance to check it out lately due to rain and late work days.
Hopefully will get a chance on the weekend to sort it.