Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced tie rod ends no probs but just a question

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Hi there, replaced the tie rod ends. I haven't done a set in years. But with my current ride they were rusted on at the car had sat idle for a period of time before I owned it. The rubber boots were knackered as well.

There was a nylon bush/spacer in there between the tie rod and the knuckle(?) which got a bit chewed up getting one tie rod off. Nothing is really mentioned about them in any of the how to's.
How essential is it? No replacements seem to be listed.
Thanks.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi there, replaced the tie rod ends. I haven't done a set in years. But with my current ride they were rusted on at the car had sat idle for a period of time before I owned it. The rubber boots were knackered as well.

There was a nylon bush/spacer in there between the tie rod and the knuckle(?) which got a bit chewed up getting one tie rod off. Nothing is really mentioned about them in any of the how to's.
How essential is it? No replacements seem to be listed.
Thanks.
l have just purchased a new set of genuine tyrods and the bush is supplied. Essential? The tyrod has a tapered shaft that inserts/seats into the hub assembly so it may assist but to what degree? I havnt removed mine as yet so ld be speculating.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They weren't in mine when i replaced it. Might have helped if it was as mine siezed and needed striking from the top to get it to budge. Sledgehammer on the side while leaning on the crow bar trick was fruitless.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
They weren't in mine when i replaced it. Might have helped if it was as mine siezed and needed striking from the top to get it to budge. Sledgehammer on the side while leaning on the crow bar trick was fruitless.
Must be the fresh tazy sea breeze..

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No, not essential to have that nylon spacer.....It only appears to be fitted to factory tierods....Can't say I've seen genuine replacement ones with them fitted....