Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Howdy all,

Just wondering whether you have to adjust the TPS sensor after a new one has been installed? The reason I ask is I replaced it yesterday on my LS1 and upon starting the car, it coughed and spluttered, when I accelerated it wouldn't rev and eventually stalled. I tried 3 or 4 times before I **** myself and put the old one back in. Expecting everything to be back to normal, I started the car and it did the same thing again. I bit the bullet and called RACV and put the put the engine cover back on and thought I'd give her one more stab... Then bang, started just fine, took it for a spin and it was back to normal so cancelled the call out. I still assume the TPS is on it's way out though due to the fact it doesn't idle smooth and there's a slight acceleration hesitation that is evident. If anyone has had this happen or knows what to do, it'd be awesome! Haynes manual doesn't tell me anything in this instance unfortunately!

Cheers,
Boojakz.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Did you reset the System after you installed the new one? And checked error codes when you installed the new one while it was stuttering. My VR did the same when i changed the whole throttle body, reset the system and she was all good after.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Hey mate, yeah I did reset the computer but after that, started and it was still stuttering. Funny you mention the throttle body though, I had to take it off to fit the tps seeing as it was located in a bitch of a spot. Just want to know that I'm not doing anything specifically wrong before I give it another go next weekend.

Cheers,
Boojakz

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Test the sensor with a multimeter before you waste your time replacing it. Substituting sensors to try to fix a problem is a poor (and often expensive) method of diagnosis.
Google 'checking a tps'
Check that the output voltage of the sensor is smooth for the full sweep of the throttle opening. If it open circuits at any stage, it's buggered. This usually happens around the idle position, because this is the most used part of the TPS potentiometer.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
hey mate did u sort this problem out? im having the same problem with my vr v8 if u did sort it can u please pm me with what u done

cheerd