Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement fuel tank strap rubber

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais, VS Berlina & LX Torana
Hi all,

Couldn't find any other threads on this, so thought I'd ask - what's everyone use these days for new rubber to suit fuel tank straps?

I'm preparing to re-install a long range V8 tank with IRS rear into a VR Calais. I've had the original straps powder-coated satin black. When removed from the car, there was no rubber on them, but assume there would have been from factory.

The straps seem to measure ~55 or 56mm wide.

A bit of googling has a few options..... 50mm seems super common, but might not work....

Resto Country tank strap rubber.JPG

SCTEG tank strap rubber.JPG

Brierley tank strap rubber.JPG

Would love to hear from anyone who has actually replaced theirs successfully.

Many thanks,

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Clark Rubber, and a tube of silicon, or liquid nails from Bunnings.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
55 mm buyte roofing strips butyl 1 side/silver foil other side or even cutting strips of sound deadener and used on top of tank between body if your missing the rubber pads, tank won't make a noise/vibration, helps with pump noise as well

Reactions: Lex

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had zero luck sourcing any factory style rubber with the nice folded over edges, so ended up running with flat rubber sourced from Clark Rubber...

For anyone interested....

Starting point: Clark Rubber flat 75mm x 1.5mm

01b.jpg

The recesses in the tank where the straps go, measure at 64mm, so I cut the rubber down to 64mm width and they sit in there beautifully. This should negate the need for glue as I hope the straps will just hold them snug and hopefully they don't shift sideways.

02b.jpg

Because I've had my straps powder-coated black, you don't actually even notice the rubber.... so I'm not going to lose any sleep over the lack of folded edges on the rubbers...

03b.jpg

Pretty tidy look really..... let's hope it all bolts up to the car nicely.

04b.jpg

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Finally got this tank back into the car. End result wasn't perfect, but happy enough. Keeping in mind when I removed this tank, the straps never had rubber previously (whether or not they did from factory though is anyone's guess). This one's a 5litre VR Calais. I may have added rubber where it's not meant to be! My VS Berlina definitely has rubber on the straps, so who knows.

Just a side note - I had a look at the new Rare Spares tanks in store this week, and they look fantastic. The straps (I think only non-IRS at this stage) also look good... and they don't seem to come with any kind of rubber.

Anyway - the 1.5mm rubber worked ok, but it did squish out and distort a little at the bottom rear edge. Still protecting the paintwork, so this ticks the box for me. Neat enough....

I ended up gluing the rubber on to hold them in place...

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

Tank3.jpg

Tank4.jpg