Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement head unit. VS caprice

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
I need a new head unit for my VS Caprice.
Is there a unit on the market which will allow the use of all the standard feaures? By that i mean the steering wheel controls & the rear seat controls need to be still functioning.
I hate having stuff which doesn't work!

I'me not an audiofile, i dont need 10 amps & a boot load of subs. Just a head unit which will operate all the original controls & the 10 stack.
Cheers, Col

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Firstly, Im not sure how the rear seat controls are wired up. They may just be a variable resistor to the speakers, which has nothing to do with the head unit and thus you dont need to worry about. Not sure so will leave that one for someone else.

You have a few options. There is at least one manufacturer that makes headunits that are compatable with the steering wheel controls. Think it may be Alpine?

Otherwise many head units are compatable with an aftermarket remote called a CAT09. The CAT09 sends the signal from the steering wheel controls to the head unit, and works with the 7 most common head units. The head unit must have a remote for the CAT09 to work.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/660351-post1.html

They are also available from autobarn, but they may have to order it in for you. Check the pdf in that link above for more info.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
i doubt you will be able to find a h/u that will operate the eurovox stacker

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
It looks like it will be much easier sticking with the stock head unit.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
The factory stacker almost certainly won't work with anything aftermarket, unless you totally fluke it. CD stackers are pretty much dead, and most head units these days won't support CD stackers at all.

I'm not familiar with the steering wheel or rear seat controllers in your particular car, but I know there are adapters available that should work with your steering wheel controls.

The CAT09 (or the latest CAT10) is compatible with most new head units. It can translate your factory controller's signals to either a direct input (if your new head unit can accept such inputs) or convert them to an appropriate infrared signal that works like a standard IR remote. Your rear seat controls would probably work like this too, but you'd need two separate controllers, and that's starting to get a bit expensive. If your rear seat controls are just a set of resistors (or maybe a separate amplifier) they may not need any conversion at all. A bit of research would confirm this.

Some new head units will accept steering wheel control signals directly - I believe the higher end Clarion units ahve this function. That would be worth chasing up too.

Overall, there are some significant advantages to upgrading your head unit. You can play MP3 discs, you can use auxiliary inputs from a portable music player, you can plug in an iPod, you can use your stereo as a handsfree kit for your mobile, and other such things. However, there are compromises you need to make, unless your budget is fairly flexible.

It's definitely easier to keep the stock head unit, but you can do most of what you're after with an aftermarket unit. Maybe you could post what functions or capabilities you're hoping to get by replacing your head unit?

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
If i replace the stock head unit & stacker, then all i am trying to achieve is having all the factory options [ie the steering wheel controls & rear seat controls] functioning.
My main concern is going through an unknown quantity of stock head units trying to achieve this.
From the threads, it looks like these headunits & stackers are near the end of their lives.
I was simply looking for a compatable system which will work.
I really hate having all these gizmos & gadgets which dont operate. May as well have bought a berlina! That's just me.
I purchased the caprice about 2 months ago. When i got it, the stacker was missing.
I have since purchased a replacement, but, in the time it took for it to arrive, the head unit died.
I also have purcheased a replacement head unit, which has proved to be more of a headache than what it was worth. I think i am throwing good money at bad!
Atleast if i could find a compatable head unit, half my dramas would be over.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Ok, so you're not after any new functionality - you just want something that is more reliable than the unknown quality of 2nd hand replacement components that is compatible with your system and controls.

Unfortunately, I strongly doubt you're going to find anything new that talks to your stacker. The front and rear remote controls are likely to be easily re-used though - so if you can live without a stacker (and there's lots of us who do) then maybe a fairly basic head unit and remote control adapter(s) will do the trick. Or you can stick with 2nd hand parts and gamble that they're going to keep working.

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
Exactly!
I'me not a 'spring chicken' so to speak.
These days the volume is not as a priorty as it used to be.
Having said that, the quality of reproduction is!
I do want a stacker. I'me an "old muso" [so my kids say]. With a Satriani fetish.
It would be sooooooooo easy just to fit one of the 3 Alpine decks i have in the shed, but the bling wouldn't work . Kind of defeats the purpose of having a caprice.
I know i can't be the only person asking this question. That's why i posted the Q.

VR mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Executive
Pioneer wont work your electric aerial properly. See my questions on the issue in this section. You need a head unit with a dedicated aerial switch wire, which pioneer no longer has. Just had this problem with a pioneer mp3 head unit i bought and put in.

H