Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing a standard arial with an electric one

pete's_VT_Wagon

Reaction score
Website
pryde.com.au
Members Ride
VT 5lt wagon
I am new to this site and would like to say hello to everyone.
my problem is i have fitted and electric arial to my vt and it dosent seem to work. The power cable was attached to he indicator wiring and i have pluged it in but nothing.
Can any body tell me if I need to do anything else

Kind Regards.

Peter

R

rattattack1313

hey bloke............ dissconnect it from the indicator bizzo , there should be a ( sometimes dark blue) wire coming out of the rear of the head...... that is the power antenna wire........ all this is covered elsewhere, but anyway....there is only so many wires out the back of the head..2 for front left, 2 for front right, possibly 2 for rear left, and again poss 2 for rear right...... then a power lead, an earth lead, and 1 more wire, all on its own.... thats the power antenna wire......

pete's_VT_Wagon

Reaction score
Website
pryde.com.au
Members Ride
VT 5lt wagon
Thanks for the info, but i havent put the inducator plug into the arial, on the aerial side of the car, you have attached a second plug which is tapped to the indicator loom, this is for the electric arial, that is two plugs one for the indicator and one for the electric arial, and they wont fit the wrong device. all VT's come standard with the wiring loom for an electric arial, i need to know if they is a fuse or something else i need to look at

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Hilux 3.8l vs v6 & 4L60E
Was there an earth wire hanging off the aerial? this should be screwed to the metal (chassis) of the car if there is

pete's_VT_Wagon

Reaction score
Website
pryde.com.au
Members Ride
VT 5lt wagon
Yep, the arail works when i put 12 volts on it, and i have the radio form a Calais, which has the up and down buutons. The arial will not go up when you turn the radio on. Do you know if there is a fuse that needs to be put in or a relay, I would have though it would be simple as the plug for the electric arail was thier, just pull the inner gard of pull out the old arail, install the electric one put the plug in, and bingo electric arail.

Peter

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Hilux 3.8l vs v6 & 4L60E
I am not 100% sure but i think that aerial might go through the bcm in a Calias , you also might need a higher spec bcm so there might be a bit more involved than just plugging it in, If i had a wiring diagram I could probably work it out

pete's_VT_Wagon

Reaction score
Website
pryde.com.au
Members Ride
VT 5lt wagon
Thanks, I am the same if i had the wiring diagrham I would be able to trace it and find out what i need to do. Do you know of anyone who might have a copy?