Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing chrome door and gutter trim moulds with black ones.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Hi All

I'm looking to buy a set of black door and gutter moulds to replace the factory chrome ones whilst eBay is offering 10% off. Does anyone have any advice on doing this DIY? Is it a one man job and do I need any speciality tools? Just want to know the best way to do this without causing any damage to the parts and of course the car. Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon

Check your Holden dealer for the parts, I got the gutter trim for a wagon (it's a bit shorter) for $50ea which was a lot cheaper then ebay.

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
sedans are easy... the video does help

wagons are a PITA as the side windows have to come out :(

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
so is Holden generally cheaper for such parts??

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
sedans are easy... the video does help

wagons are a PITA as the side windows have to come out :(

Yeah it's a pain.

Have you or anyone removed the rear side glass, if so how is it done?

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
so is Holden generally cheaper for such parts??
Not sure on all parts but the gutter trim was listed for something like $250+70 delivery so I was surprised when l went to Holden and he quoted $100 (50 ea side).

The other good thing with dealing with the dealer was because the part is so long and thin l had 2 driver side ones bent in the box and holden keep replacing it until it was right. Would have been a pain if it was through ebay.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
hi , I did my wagon , but had to remove the trim to be painted and had to be reinstalled , I broke all the clips on the window trim and most on the gutter trim , you may be able to slide the gutter trim forward once you remove the screw to minimise broken clips, fortunately all these clips can be supplied by Holden and easily replaced .

Regarding the rear quarter windows , you have to just about remove everything to get them out , roof lining and side panels and I think from memory the side back support on the back seat , all these things aren't too difficult except the rear seat parts , I broke a clip on these , but like I said I cant remember if I really needed to remove them . There are a couple of hidden screws and bolts , but a bit of google helps .
Then you just un screw about 12 nuts around the window .

The thing to realise is that the rear quarter chrome trim can't be removed and you have to either have them painted black or replace them with ones that have black trim , which is only black moulded plastic

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
The thing to realise is that the rear quarter chrome trim can't be removed and you have to either have them painted black or replace them with ones that have black trim , which is only black moulded plastic

Yeah was quoted about $350 ea from Holden but I was thinking of getting them from a wreckers as the black ones seem a lot more common then the chrome ones so shouldn't be hard to find.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I actually bought a pair thinking it would be easier to paint the plastic moulding than the chrome but decided to keep the original windows and paint them , I used the black ones in my car till mine were painted then returned them , he took $180 for the pair which I hope I still have as store credit when I need it.

This was at Salvage Auto in Nerang

RennRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Sportwagon
hi , I did my wagon , but had to remove the trim to be painted and had to be reinstalled , I broke all the clips on the window trim and most on the gutter trim , you may be able to slide the gutter trim forward once you remove the screw to minimise broken clips, fortunately all these clips can be supplied by Holden and easily replaced .

Regarding the rear quarter windows , you have to just about remove everything to get them out , roof lining and side panels and I think from memory the side back support on the back seat , all these things aren't too difficult except the rear seat parts , I broke a clip on these , but like I said I cant remember if I really needed to remove them . There are a couple of hidden screws and bolts , but a bit of google helps .
Then you just un screw about 12 nuts around the window .

Hi @kleanphil , did you have to disable the rear airbag system?