Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing harmonic balancer

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
Hi guys,

I did a heap of searching last night after the harmonic balancer let go in the vn (series 1), and I'm pretty confident at giving it a go. Just a few questions my searching didn't answer..

If I'm redoing the seal, do I need to drain the engine oil first?

Is the pulley and balancer the same component, or is there a balancer AND a pulley?

Thanks guys

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
The pulley IS the harmonic balancer (the same thing just different names for them) and no you dont need to drain engine oil, just make sure to remove ALL of the old seal. Dont leave any, I used a small flathead screwdriver if I remember correctly. Good luck with it mate :thumbsup:

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
make sure you soak the bolt at the front in WD40 for atleast 24 hours before trying to remove it, otherwise it probably won't budge.

Farqhed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6, VP SII V6, 76 Mini SS
I had to replace mine about 2 months ago, i couldnt get the nut undone. Me and my old man both tried every possible thing we could think of and still nothing. Drove it to the local mechanic and he changed it for $77 (we supplied a brand new balancer) and he also adjusted the kickdown cable. Can't go wrong really

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Use a breaker bar with a socket. Put the breaker bar on the ground, take out the EFI relay and turn the engine over for a split second at a time. It'll soon come undone.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Yeah bogan way works to. My balancer is on nice and tight and hasn't come flying off. Better off getting a balancer puller too. Makes it a lot easier.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
vn s1 doesnt need a puller and the balancer doesnt even have holes for one

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Cool well there you go. Sorry to derail but can you go an ecotec balancer on a S1? Is there any gain?

Farqhed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6, VP SII V6, 76 Mini SS
I was told no. The VN S1 balancer is different to the VN S2 and VP balancers. So i'd say the ecotech wouldnt fit.. The holden dealer wanted my engine number to be perfectly sure. Hope this helps

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Cool well there you go. Sorry to derail but can you go an ecotec balancer on a S1? Is there any gain?

Ecotec balancer wont fit a VNs1 - and fitting an ecotec balancer to VNs2-VR will make it shake at idle as the ecotec has a bigger weight on it.

And no, there is absolutely no gain to be had.