Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Shift Solenoids in VS auto trans.

Portunio

The Gaffa Tape Wizard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S2 V6
G'day guys,
My mum has a 1996 VS s2 V6. Recently we've had trouble with the trans not shifting the way it should. When I scanned the computer, it came up with a fault code along the lines of '2-3 shift solenoid fault'.

Now, from what I understand the auto trans has two shift solenoids, an 'A' solenoid and a 'B' solenoid. Which one controls to 2-3 shift action? Also how Do I physically tell which solenoid is which?

Lastly, I have one shift soleniod here to suit that gearbox, how do I tell if its an 'A' solenoid or a 'B' solenoid? Or are they the same part?

Hopefully someone can make heads or tails of this.
Any help, advice or diagrams would be appreciated, as I plan to tackle this on the weekend.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Although you can change it, it's best to get a professional to do it, and chances are the trans is stuffed, the fault only stops at the solinoid, there may also be other unseen damage!

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
mate jump onto you tube and type it in. there is a thread on how to completely strip these boxes if you want to do it yourself but, yeah i agree, leave it to the experts.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Portunio

The Gaffa Tape Wizard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S2 V6
Thanks guys,
I've decided to replace both solenoids and put a service kit through the box, hopefully that should sort it out, but we'll see. I'll report back with my findings next week.

Cheers,
Dicko.

Portunio

The Gaffa Tape Wizard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S2 V6
I fitted the new solenoids this afternoon and gave the gearbox a service. Everything seems fine so far, the engine light turned off the first time we went to start the car
afterwards and on the test drive it shifted through the gears as smooth as silk. Brilliant.

I also took the opportunity to replace the leaky rocker cover gaskets and fix a slow leak in one of the rear tyres.

Now I just have to hope that I won't need to touch it again for a while.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I fitted the new solenoids this afternoon and gave the gearbox a service. Everything seems fine so far, the engine light turned off the first time we went to start the car
afterwards and on the test drive it shifted through the gears as smooth as silk. Brilliant.

That's good news :thumbsup:

dan202

ITZ A PIG
Reaction score
Members Ride
I HOT VR
sounds good mate mine doing the same thing ill give it a crack too