Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Speakers

Brad SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Is it possible to replace the factory ssv speakers with better quality speakers but not amping or is my best bet to get amps and the whole lot. I like the bass I get I just can't crank it up to Loud without it sounding really bad.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
replacing standard speakers with better quality ones will definatly sound better than stock, but would still distort when the volume is turned up past a certain extent. you would get more out of the aftermarket speakers when amped as they would be delivered with more power so will go louder, have better bass and on the whole sound alot more refined.

another option you could look into is dynamatting the doors with your factory speakers and see if that gives you the sound your after

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
What are some decent aftermarket replacement speakers for VE's? My stock ones are wrecked

nOisia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 sv6
hey man,

i just swapped out all my door speakers with JBL's 6.5 inch

i got 3ways for the rear doors

got component / splits for the front

added some sound dampening mats (not much) just in the area behind the speakers.

Sound is seriously much better

The JBL's (dont know how they do it) but have both impedance of 2 & 4 ohm, so will match the stock head unit without issues.
Ohh and im pretty sure they were around 60-70 watts rms

theres a "sticky guide" on how to replace door speakers at the top of this forum.. I used this as a guide also

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Brad,

Your question has been done to death here, try a search next time.

But the answer to your question is that yes, you can replace the stock speakers with after market ones, the key is to buy car speakers with a high sensitivity rating as the stock decks aren't that powerful and distortion will occur once you wind up the volume. A sensitive speaker means the output will be louder at lower head unit levels. Impedance also plays a factor.

OEM speakers have massively high sensitivity levels which why they are loud but they sound and distort terribly due to their cheap paper design.

Also sound deaden your doors with some Dynamat.

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 "Z" Series Ute
Hey Brad,
I am just about to update an 2012 SV-6. I did all the research and pulled the Forums apart looking for information. I've decided to have an installer do my update.

If you are going to self install check out the prices of components overseas on-line. Even with the cost of freight you can do it better this way.

Guys I work with are purchasing from here and this site appears regularly in these Forums:-
Alpine SPR-60C (SPR60C) 6.5" 2-Way Type-R Component Car Speakers

I purchased my Dyna Mat on-line. There are many other products available but from what I've read Dyna Mat is superior.

If you are dismantling the door cards then sound deaden them and fill the service holes in the doors with Flute or MDF. There are just so many new components available I found it worthwhile talking to and e mailing installers. I am quite capable of self installing and I have all the equipment to do it but I just found it will be most efficient for me to pay to have the work completed.

Oh and if your SSV has that blasted center speaker in the dash then get rid of it. I started a Thread here and the information obtained was exceptional:-

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006/209544-ve-series-2-z-series-audio.html

After having listened to a friend's one tonner with updated splits, amp and one subby I'd be amping it too. It's worth it. It takes full advantage of the better speakers. I can't wait to have my car done. I am just waiting for the installer to commence back after the Xmas break.

Spend the time on this site as there is information regarding audio everywhere.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I did all the research and pulled the Forums apart looking for information....

OP and yourself could have saved a lot of time and clicked on the very first thread right at the top of this section.
All the info you need is there and in a thread just below it (The FAQ thread), which contains a crapload of info on this very topic.