Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Std Speakers In Vx Ii - Worth It ?

A

andrewro

I have bog standard VX II wagon and with the standard headunit sounds like it is permanently on AM even when I have a CD in, but I understand this is normal.

I want the maximum bang for my buck but do not have the $$ for a new headunit and have the steering wheel controls to think about.

So wondering if replacing the standard speakers is going to make much difference withough changing the headunit.

What do you think ?

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
i found in my VS when i changed the headunit i left my speakers standard until i figured out how to change em they went ok but the headunit gave them too much power and they started to crackle so your best bet is to replace the headunit and the front speakers at the same time i was able to leave my rear ones standard running them off the headunit until i changed them

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
I've got a vx and the steering wheel control's are good, so yeah, an after market head unit doesn't really apeal to me, but i am keen to change the speakers to something better. As for what brand and type, i'll go off my past experience and say that a good quality 6 1/2" 3 way's for the front and rear doors would be better than the (probably) dual cones that are there now.

You could even put a pair of 6 by 9's on the rear shelf, then get 2 amps, one four channel for the door speakers and a 2 channel for the 6 by 9's. You can do this set up with the original head unit (yes, i know it doesn't has pre-out's, there's a way around this ).