Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Stock Stereo

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hey guys,

Stereo in my car has just about had it, and I have already put new speakers (150W) in the front because the old original ones died.

So I am thinking it may be time to upgrade the head unit and rear speakers.

Not looking for anything fancy, just want nice clear music, also no need for a subby or such because there is only so much bass in Bon Jovi and Van Halen- there will never be doof doof playing :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you only want good clear music, get a decent H/U, a good 2-channel amp, and a very good set of front door speakers. Forget rear door speakers.

How much would you be looking at spending?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Oh look not too much, maybe < $200 and the fronts are decent already, any recommendations on good H/U's? Also why do you say not the back?

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Just got rid of my original head unit from a VX2 equipe, CD palyer went bezerk. Had a JVC U346 head unit installed with the original 6 speakers and the difference in sound quality is staggering.

The CD's sound is now full range, I can hear sounds that I have never heard before. Even the radio now sound good on AM. The 4 X 20 watts RMS output is more than adequate. There is really no need for an amp. Try a new head unit bt itself, if its not enough horsepower for you, then put in an amp.

It appears to me that there has been big improvements to class D amps in head units in recent years. There is far less distortion.

But if you do go for an AMP, a class AB probably still has lower distortion at listenable power levels.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I can guarantee you won't get much for $200. A decent H/U is about $150 and most places will charge about $80 to install it. An amp will cost you about $200 plus $40 for a wiring kit, and then about $80 to install that.

Maybe go a H/U now and put an amp in later, will work fine.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Well there's no need for Dolby 5.1 straight away, might just start off with the H/U, see how we go.

Mayte123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Mate get some Alpine S type 6x9's and put them in your rear parcel shelf (if you have a sedan). they will fill you car with plenty off bass when you need it and are under 200 :) including the covers if you go to the right place. Then just cut the wires from your rear speaker and run cable from there to the parcel shelf (under the seat through the back) The only hard thing to do is cutting the top of the parcel shelf with a knife. That way if you get a new head unit and no amp you can just keep all the wiring to the head the same and its just plug and play and no messing around with amps. :) hope that helps. Took me about an hour or so to do.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L