Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Replacing the tailshaft center beaing

Moosey90

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl commodore sl v8
While your working on the tailshaft it might pay to check the uni's aswell
if they resemble below, old and missing dust boots it's time to do something about it.
here's how to do them all with a flat screwdriver, a hammer and a vice.

u01.jpg

Firstly remove the four retaining clips holding the cups in place carefully with a screw driver, don't really want to be stabbing yourself.
If they're jammed in and won't budge you may need to tap the cup inwards to relieve the pressure as shown.

u02.jpg

u03.jpg

u04.jpg

it's an idea to spray some crc/wd40/inox etc to penetrate in and aid in removal then follow through with hitting it with a hammer in the spots as shown below

u05.jpg

u06.jpg

u07.jpg

u08.jpg

so with minimal tools this can be accomplished, next it's time to put the new uni's in
don't use a hammer to drive the new cups in as this can dislodge the needle rollers and cause lots of problems.

firstly insert the + section
now place the cups in position
if you don't have the proper tools like a press i've found a vice will do the job nicely.

once in the vice do it up and make sure they're going in perfect and not angled
if it's taking alot of pressure doing up the vice (which it shouldn't) if they're going in square and straight you may need to give the jaws a gentle tap with the hammer to move them, don't do it up with as much pressure as possible and try this or you'll most likely break the vice.

rinse and repeat 4 times

u09.jpg

u10.jpg

once the cups are in place make sure the circlips are seated correctly and give each part of the tailshaft, yoke etc next to the cups a quick tap with the hammer and make sure they all articulate freely.
Hey mate, I have just attempted to re install a tailshaft thats been rebuilt, problem I am having is the centre bearing bracket sits around 30mm off the braket it bolts to, I have to pull it down with alot of force, would this indicate the cv has been put back together incorrectly? I am unable to see you photos of how the cv should look vs how it should not. Cheers

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
10 year old thread mate, if no one picks it up this time, you might have to start your own thread.
Good luck.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey mate, I have just attempted to re install a tailshaft thats been rebuilt, problem I am having is the centre bearing bracket sits around 30mm off the braket it bolts to, I have to pull it down with alot of force, would this indicate the cv has been put back together incorrectly? I am unable to see you photos of how the cv should look vs how it should not. Cheers

Can you post a picture of what you have now?