Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing wiring behind alternator/regulator - seeking advice

hoborific

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VR V6
So lately my VR has been generally idling like ****, and what I perceive as arcing/surging

the alternator was recently replaced after what i perceived was the regulator gone cactus and the battery not charging properly, haven't had a flat battery since the swap

my injectors all tick but touching the right rail closest injector I can't feel it pulsing like the rest, my coolant temp sensor reports voltage high exactly when the car surges (interior+headlights dim, engine light appears momentarily 50-100rpm drop(not sure) ) and the wiring for that injector and coolant temp sensor are all behind the regulator, the plug on the top of the alternator is pretty stuffed and exposed where it attaches to the clip and just glancing at the heat insulation around the wires visible are cracked or exposed so it's a pretty good bet i need to replace most of them.

The only error codes I get are 15(coolant temp sensor high voltage) and 48(cam sensor?)

I have had the occasional stall in reverse and hesitation putting my foot down after rolling but i think that may be another issue entirely like a shitty TPS

if people think i'm actually on the right track i'll pull the alternator off tomorrow and start rewiring, i'm just wondering generally what AWG wire I should be using to replace with as i haven't really done it before

hoborific

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VR V6
Yeah it was exactly as I imagined, the shorting problem has been fixed

unfortunately one of the injectors doesn't feel like it's pulsing, I've got a new set of injectors coming and leads that are due for replacing anyway, the wiring is a real ass of a job everything cracks when you touch it and half the wiring is exposed at the crimps but the injector plug that was wrapped with the bundle around the alternator looks in good condition externally but who knows if the arcing burnt any of the wires