Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reseting ODO

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
Hi all,
Looking to purchase a new (used) instrument cluster due to defective old one. I have found one on ebay with over 230000kms on it and am wondering how much it would cost (roughly, i know it varies) for holden to change it back to my kms?

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
I'm not 100% sure on this but I think once they hit 100 000klms it can't be changed

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
,,,and it's an offence to alter the odo meter in a vehicle without geting permission from the Department of Transport in South Oz.

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
but you can have it done by a professional to match the kms already on the vehicle? (correct me if im wrong)

but if you had a defective one with 123456 on it, and bought one with 350350 on it, why cant you have it set (by holden or someone similar) back to 123456????

doesnt sound illegal to me, if you set it to have LESS than what was already on it, then i see legalities.

qik42c

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtss series 1
cluster kms can be changed,speak with phreedy on this web site under asr....

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
If your cluster stops working you can get a JP (justice of the peace) to sign a statutory declaration stating the reason it was changed was because of malfuction, and it's all legit.

All clusters mechanical and or electronic can have their KM travelled adjusted to match your broken one.
It has no relevance how many km's are showing on the replacement cluster.

Yes it is illegal to wind them back in hope of a "sale", and that applies in any state, but when did that ever stop anyone... A car can have a zillion km's on it, it's how it drives and performs is what people should look at not the fancy km's it has on it.

hope that helps

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
what if my car had done 183,000 then I get a new crate motor installed? what happens to the ODO then? Should it be reset back to 0km's coz it's been fully rebuilt or what?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
what if my car had done 183,000 then I get a new crate motor installed? what happens to the ODO then? Should it be reset back to 0km's coz it's been fully rebuilt or what?

ODO is for the chassis not the engine. Having said that - many people chage it to zero when a new motor goes in. On a 20year old car - probably means nothing.

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
There are so many people buying clusters with lower klms on them then what they have now and installing them on their cars. It's not hard to do and when I look at cars if there aren't any service books with it then I don't believe the Klms on the car.

I once looked at a car with 40,000 klms on it and it looked like it had done 400,000klms. It was really rough in all areas from the inside, the body, under the bonnet and underneath the car and yet the guy swore it was the true mileage but didn't have books for it so I walked away from it.