Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resinator or Hotdog?

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
i rarely get the popping even when i shift into 2nd or 1st while decelerating. But i dont want to lose my awesome sound......a bloke that works at midas has a VL and when he went for a drive he said F@#K i want your exhaust.....i had a pinhole leak in it the other week and he said there is no way you should be able to hear it but when he took it for a spin he couldnt believe it was noticable. Is that a bad thing or a good thing that the hole was heard when it shouldnt have. He was stumped about that one.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I think it depends whether the hole is infront of the muffler or behind, because on my old exaust i had a pinhole just after the muffler and you couldnt notice but then i got anotherone just infront of the muffler and you could notice it. thats when i got a new exhaust. so do the cops ever pull you over for having a car thats too loud? I want to take my resinator off but dont wana get defected.

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
coolvncommodore said:
I think it depends whether the hole is infront of the muffler or behind, because on my old exaust i had a pinhole just after the muffler and you couldnt notice but then i got anotherone just infront of the muffler and you could notice it. thats when i got a new exhaust. so do the cops ever pull you over for having a car thats too loud? I want to take my resinator off but dont wana get defected.

ive been pulled up for speeding then floored it after taking my speeding ticket they didnt even look up

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I dont think being pulled over for your car being too loud is very common...it would draw attention but actually being defected for it? Theres some jap crap and wrx's going around that are extremely loud...same goes for some of those old 308's and 350's with dual exhausts...those things can be loud as fu**.

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
i am yet to learn of anyone who drives a v6 commo with a sports exhaust to be pulled up by cops cause its to loud.....a v8, yes but not a 6. taking the ressie off is not illegal and it will sound alot better, most exhaust places dont even include the ressie in a sports system.......take it to a exhaust place and they will cut it out and put a straight thru pipe in for about 30bucks.

as for ur other question....a hotdog is a smaller ressie, ur exhaust note will be slightley quieter with one of these compared to a straight thru, but they still sound awesome.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok thanks alot guys

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Ok, can someone give me a definitive answer? If I was to have the resonator cut out of my 2.5" exhaust system and a straight pipe put in in it's place, would this effect low-end torque (due to lack of backpressure) and would it have any other effects such as being TOO loud or any increases in fuel use?

Note: I'm running a CAI and K&N on the intake so this may effect things too.

It seems like a low-cost way to add noise and maybe a little top end torque to a 2.5" catback system.

Thanks guys...

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Ok, can someone give me a definitive answer? If I was to have the resonator cut out of my 2.5" exhaust system and a straight pipe put in in it's place, would this effect low-end torque (due to lack of backpressure) and would it have any other effects such as being TOO loud or any increases in fuel use?

Note: I'm running a CAI and K&N on the intake so this may effect things too.

It seems like a low-cost way to add noise and maybe a little top end torque to a 2.5" catback system.

Thanks guys...

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyone got answer for fazz197's question?