Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resprays??

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh, im aware of the lenght of the process but im thinkin of just doin exterior (body). i know it wont look as good but its realy onli the interior that you can see... so yeh. it shouldnt be to much and long if i just do that. do you have to remove the door handles, lights and windscreen, i thought you could just cover em up.?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
depends how dodgy you mind the job being....if its a different colour you wont be able to get to the end of the panel properly with the above mentioned pieces still on...so there would be a noticable outline of the old colour at the edges (especially windscreens)...having these still on also makes sanding difficult as you cant sand the edges/corners.
so yeah, if your only doing exterior you'll still need to remove the door moulds, badges, bailey channels and window trims, windscreens, door handles, etc....

Power21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC sle '81
sircruisealotVS said:
well the cost of panel and spray work is different everywhere you go, all comes down to how much work is involved and how good you want to job to be.
for a same colour respray you should be looking at somewhere around the $3-5k zone, lower ($2k-ish) if you do the prep work and strip the car down yourself.
for a different colour respray its gunna be alot, something like $6k-to as much as you wanna pay.
as i said if there's alot of panel work to be done, that will influence the cost, as will effects in the paintwork (candies,pearls,harlequins,etc.) but if you want just a standard factory colour respray and you cars pretty straight you shouldnt pay more than a coupla grand.

There is absolutely NO WAY i would pay 2k even if i have done the prep work myself. Thats what the shops charge but they are doing it at about 90% profit, once it is prep'd all you do is stand there and spray a few coats on, do it yourself mate, seriously, even if you haven't done it before you can learn quickly it isn't rocket science.

Before you say thats crap, i have a VS me, my dad, and grandad whow as a panel beater, resprayed it white for about 300 bucks.

inasinman

inasinman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ACCLAIM
About the speedo, the people who have changed the face must have offset the reading.

What you can do is to remove the speedo from the car with a phillip screw driver. There should be two screws above the facer, be careful at this stage not to also break any side clips. (note undo the steering column lock handle to push the steering column as low as possible. It makes it easier to remove the facer from the dash. You will be reviewed with the speed odometer. There are also two screws on the side holding the odometer against the dashboard. undo them and you could just pull out the odometer there should be no wires on the back.

after you have completely removed the odometer. If you look in the back there should be four STAR looking screws on the back. But you also could use a flat screw driver to remove them, it's still work.

remove the perspex cover, you should see the speedo needle. Use a flat screw driver to pry it off the spindle. let it reset to the original position. then put the needle back against the first marking on the odometer. but don't put everything back yet. Plug the odometer back into the dash without screwing it back in again.

with the digital speed limiter. while holding down the up and down button turn on the ignition. the orange lamp should be flashing which indicates it should also give you the digital reading of the speed. GO FOR A DRIVE and compare the reading between the digital and analog odometer. If it's just out bring the car BACK HOME remove the odometer and adjust again accordingly whether the needle should sit a bit higher or lower. (TRIAL & ERROR) so to speak. MAKE sure there is no POLICE around........hint hint.

Once the reading is all correct put everything back. and give yourself a pat in the back.

I had to remove the odometer because the km reading was not working. however after I've pull it apart and without knowing how to fix the them thing. I'd put it back together and now the KM (distance) reading is working again. Pure GENIUS I'd say........heheheheh......I'm no mechanic....just a fluke artist.

I hope this help.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
bout 6500 for a fairdinkem colour cahange and yes take the time to take out your door handles and windscreens. if ya gunna spend the time to sand and prep the car, take the time to do it properly its worth every hour.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Metallics about $1000+, if you go Pearl $2000+ ,just for paint and thinners.
If you don't remove the handles etc you'll be painting it again in 12 months.
Your M8 should have told you all this.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
good for you power21...but thats how much it cost to get done professionally.
i like way your worded your post POVRTY...it really is worth putting the time in to do it right, the paintwork is only goin to be as good the foundation (prep) layed down for it.

Power21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC sle '81
sircruisealotVS said:
good for you power21...but thats how much it cost to get done professionally.
i like way your worded your post POVRTY...it really is worth putting the time in to do it right, the paintwork is only goin to be as good the foundation (prep) layed down for it.

LOL, i don't care if you all waste your money on 'professional' resprays or not, like i said my grandpa was a panel beater and has sprayed a million cars, and i have a friend who is a spray painter, i did my car myself and if you have any skill or painting ability at all you can't tell the difference. But hey don't let me stop the guy from wasting a good 2 or 3 grand.:whistling

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
have you even read this thread through you twat?
the bloke asked how much it was to get done...i gave him some acurate ball-park figures...turns out he's gettin a mate to do it on the cheap anyway and he's only paying for materials and paint, so i dont understand why your carring on about it....i dont give a **** if you went and sprayed your own car, good for your, its got nothing to do with me so stop quoting my posts in an attempt to make yourself look good.
and by the way i love to even see you attempt a metallic paint with pearl finish respray on your own....its not anything to be sneezed at, difficult even for professionals to do well.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
cheers everi one for there input.