Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Restoration on my VS

Conner j

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vs statesman v6
Hi guys sim currently restoring my vs statesman, I’ve had to replace a handful of bolts, I replaced the tail shaft bolts with high tensil bolts from supercheap and I’ve replace guard bolts with metal taper hex bolts

Will the car still pass a roadworthy ? Or do I need to get the specific bolts for each section. Thanks in advance guys

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Generally bolt replacement will be fine, it's more leaks, worn bushes or suspension, braking components, rust or engine etc mods they look for to deny you. Keep it clean with standard exhaust and it should be OK.

Some mechanics will do a roady check without the paperwork to give you an indication on what will fail. It'll cost the same as a roady but you won't have the rush to fix anything.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
They’ll pass inspection but the tail shaft bolts have a smaller than standard head to snug into the casting profile. If you’ve put in standard bolts, the head could be resting against the cast toe and misaligned. If so the bolts will fail under fatigue loading. Check to ensure the bolt heads are seated flat on the flange. If so, you’re all good. If not, change them out.