Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retard smashed my car, write off or fixable?

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Some months ago my Daughter had her almost new Yaris run into the rear of. She is insured as was the other driver.
She has an excess of $750? or thereabout. Because was was NOT at fault in anyway as you are, she paid no excess and a hire vehicle was arranged by her insurer at no charge and going onto the other parties bill.
She has no hire car clause with her insurance, but was entitle to one being 100% in the right as you are I assume.

Good luck with the outcome. A rotten thing to happen.
What insurance company was this if you don't mind me asking all good if not..

y3z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF SV6
Just received a call from AAMI, their getting quotes now, so fingers crossed. Hopefully its less then 15,000

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My Daughter is with NRMA.
NRMA must have changed their attitude in the last few years.
I used my daughters car ( insured with NRMA ) to take her kids shopping, and watched as an incompetent 4WD driver reversed into the rear of her car. I had to stand irately in front of their car to stop them driving off. Anyhow got all the required details, rang the NRMA, and made arrangements to take it to their assessment depot.
Their assessment...no claim could be made by her because, in their opinion, the damage did not exceed her $750 excess......forget other peoples fault and all that, they were not even interested in chasing the “at fault” driver on her behalf.
An independant assessor quoted in excess of $1500 damage.
After heated arguments at the local NRMA office, phone calls, emails, and policy quoting, I finally got a win, the area manager decided to make an “ex-gratia, one off” payment.
Before others say that this is all incorrect, and I must have misunderstood something, this is a true story, and I have still have all the relevant paperwork.
P.S. in about 2001, NRMA refused to insure my 4.2L Auto Monaro LS because it was a "high performance sports car"

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
NRMA must have changed their attitude in the last few years.
I used my daughters car ( insured with NRMA ) to take her kids shopping, and watched as an incompetent 4WD driver reversed into the rear of her car. I had to stand irately in front of their car to stop them driving off. Anyhow got all the required details, rang the NRMA, and made arrangements to take it to their assessment depot.
Their assessment...no claim could be made by her because, in their opinion, the damage did not exceed her $750 excess......forget other peoples fault and all that, they were not even interested in chasing the “at fault” driver on her behalf.
An independant assessor quoted in excess of $1500 damage.
After heated arguments at the local NRMA office, phone calls, emails, and policy quoting, I finally got a win, the area manager decided to make an “ex-gratia, one off” payment.
Before others say that this is all incorrect, and I must have misunderstood something, this is a true story, and I have still have all the relevant paperwork.
P.S. in about 2001, NRMA refused to insure my 4.2L Auto Monaro LS because it was a "high performance sports car"

Insurance companies can be a huge problem, but my Daughters experience with NRMA was exemplary.

I've had many real sports cars over a long time...MGs, Austin Healey's, Triumph, MX5 etc. etc. plus 'many Jet ski's over many years, so just ask me about crazy insurance companies not wanting my business.

y3z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF SV6
Just got some news, not a write off. Will only take a week to fix. Its only cosmetic damage apart from the exhaust.
He said that its not as bad as it looks and is quiet simple to fix.

So good news :)

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Just got some news, not a write off. Will only take a week to fix. Its only cosmetic damage apart from the exhaust.
He said that its not as bad as it looks and is quiet simple to fix.

So good news :)

That is good news. After all that, I am glad you were (A) Not between the "P" plater and your car and (B) not sitting in your car. I have actually witnessed
these type of events, and the poor victims were a lot less worried about the car than themselves in those cases.

P.s. I am not trivialising your angst about the incident.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good to hear

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
Anything happen to the p plate driver legally for what he did ? Did the cops get involved ? The stupid #### could have killed someone if they had been in the path . but lucky there wasn't .