Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 retro-fit knock sensor

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I had a look and found a knock sensor and plug and the memcal
is a genuine hsv but its blank so can put anything on it but auto will have
to change to a larger eprom no big deal i have sst 512k flash chips.
Anyone wants this make an offer,these are hard to come by.
HSV pictured left v6 right also beware of ebay fakes they use a v6 knock board
which WILL give false knock.

This was the memcal I was supposed to get but other things have popped up. This guy is pretty much the new greenfoam when it comes to 5 litre tunes. Just without the month waiting period to get a reply.

bck2basics

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
Hi I just bought this memcal from eBay and was wanting to find out if its a genuine vr hsv 5.0 memcal? Also is the knock board original? If not is it still compatible?

2AC74B08-F408-4ABC-A316-BFE22354C41B-5888-0000037F576354AC_zps0dd93e8d.jpg

Last edited:

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Hate to say it but that looks like a v6 knock board.
Have a look at my pic above you can see your knock
board is identical to the v6 knock board and looks nothing like the v8 knock board.
The v6 knock boards will give false knock and are not compatible this is what ive been warning people about.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hate to say it but that looks like a v6 knock board.
Have a look at my pic above you can see your knock
board is identical to the v6 knock board and looks nothing like the v8 knock board.
The v6 knock boards will give false knock and are not compatible this is what ive been warning people about.

I thought that the one bck2basics has pictured looks identical to your one pictured on the left
HSV pictured left v6 right

have you mixed up photos or am I missing something?

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
HSV is left look at the sticker same as the op
Knock board is very different.
Now look at the v6 memcal on the right and knock
board is identical to the op,nothing confusing about it lol.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
After flicking between photo's a half dozen times, finally I can see what your saying.
Yes you are right. bck2basics appears to have a V6 Chip.

Thanks for your input 2INIL8, sorry I took so long, LOL

DavoVP

Reaction score
Do not buy from this guy , that is a fake knock board/tune . I bought one and had so much drama with it . Wasnt a real 185 tune even on the board it was a v6 one .
In the end I went with a tune from The1 on this site , much better tune then the 185 kw holden tune and it doesnt need the knock sensors etc

Does it make much difference ?

This was the memcal I was supposed to get but other things have popped up. This guy is pretty much the new greenfoam when it comes to 5 litre tunes. Just without the month waiting period to get a reply.

Which guy ?

Ive been looking for a decent tune for my 185 clubby, Or something a bit better then the stock 185i tune with the knock board.

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
Hi guys,

Just adding some info to this sorry for hte thread dig,

In the pic of the memcals the top 2 memcals (top one is missing chip) are v6 memcals with what looks like a v8 knock board but these are definitely v6 vr knock boards i took out of passed cars i owned.

The bottom one is a memcal i bought as NOS off of a ebay in a holden box that seemed to look legit and after seeing this i was doubting it was a v8 knock board.

With the table it shows the info the american guys (gearhead-efi) have put together on all the different knock filter boards that gm had made.

The bottom pic shows where to measure the resistance to ID the board and where the calibration code is on the board.

The hsv v8 one has 8k resistance and a F on the board and the v6 ones have 134k resistance and U on the board where it is meant to be, but they look like the opposite of what they are from the pictures that have been posted here already.

image1.jpgmDg0Lzk.jpgwNJkxGg.jpg

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
BFPM is hsv 185 manual
BLCD is v6 manual.
V8 knock boards have 1F I got a few of them.

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
Yea I know that but the above hsv memcal of bck2basics you said was a v6 board which is identical to mine, mine checks out as a real v8 knock board. My v6 knock boards looked like your v8 knock boards from previous post aswell. So it looks like you can't go off the look of the knock board. Just adding more info that is all.