Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revs not dropping during shifts (manual)

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Ever since I've had the car I've noticed when I clutch it the revs don't come down straight away, if I free rev in neutral it's fine. It's only between gears. Some people say it's normal although I recently drove a vs with a getrag and it doesn't do it at all. It feels so much nicer to shift. Does anyone know how to fix/remove this? Cheers.

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Obvious answer check for error codes.

Other thoughts - check for sticky throttle, may be sticking after time in 1 position or at certain point. Look to see if cable is loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
There's no error codes, and cable seems to be fine. I noticed if I back off the throttle and wait a few seconds before clutching it, the revs drop like they should. Surely they weren't designed like this?

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Gave the throttle body a clean today, still doing it. Honestly think this is how they're meant to be which is stupid..

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Some will say it does this so the revs don't drop down to much when the clutch is depressed and extra throttle is not needed to increase the revs.

Others will say the Idle Air Control (IAC )valve might be sticking open, therefore holding the revs for a short time.

I'd say it's the first....But this can be reduced with a tune.

I had mine reduced to normal idle below 80Kph. Meaning, that when I change gears below 80 Kph, the revs drop to idle straight away between gear changes.
I think it's just a matter of reprogramming the time the IAC stays open, between gears, up to a certain speed.

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Yeah every single one with a vt-vy I've asked does it. Where can I get this tune? So over it

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I've read many topics on here about this - some people have success changing the MAF, I know when I upgraded to one of those crappy high flow MAF sensors from MACE mine started doing it.

Did you get a proper tune done when you upgraded the MAF?