Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ride height change after trolly jackin

Flashback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE OMEGA DUAL FUEL V6
Just used trolly jack to raise up the frount end to remove right hand wheel to check condition of break pads. When i lowered it down the frount end is sitting higher than normal about three too four inches?? any ideas did nothing, other than remove one wheel, VE Omega new 50,000kms, it will probably settell back down to normal height when driven i suspose, springs cant have moved all looks normal??

veomegaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Sedan
Hi,
Had the same thing happen to me.
Does go back to normal when you drive it.
Does the same at the back as well.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
yeah back is worst usually. Pops back in.

I admit that 3-4 inches sounds excessive though. Its usually not something you really see - more that you feel it when it happens

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Almost all cars do it, just drive and the wheel will settle agian.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
3 or 4 inches???

that's pretty high mate... i wouldnt be driving it on the road and waiting for it to pop in. slowly drive up the driveway and lock the left and right to change the suspension geometry enough.

Flashback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE OMEGA DUAL FUEL V6
Thanks for the input guys bounced the frount end by hand while stationary got it down to 1 to 2 inches then drove slowly around the block and that did the rest back to normal now . BUT still wounder why and what is going on to cause it to not return to normal height
s mind you they werent new cars though

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Glad to hear everything is OK. As others have said its normal and is caused by a combo of things, ie: shocks, tire position on the ground, etc.

Reading various threads around here about fitting of lowered springs is a bit concerning whether the new ride height has been set correctly with other components.

What I mean is the control arm bushes, etc. To ensure that the bushes have no applied load when the suspension is at its static position (wheels on the ground) all bush fixing points must be loose to allow the bush inner sleeve to turn with bush when the car is lowered back onto the ground. Having the car on a 4 post hoist is the easiest way to do this. Once the car is at its new ride height the bush fixing bolts can be then tightened back up.
If you don't do this, your bushes will be cactus fairly quickly. It can also make the suspension feel a little harsh.