Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Right blinker needs sedatives

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
Left blinker is fine. Right goes spastic and ticks away happily.

Replaced blown bulb. All blinkers are now blinking... But my right one is still going spaz. :(

If it ain't the bulb doing it to the circuit, what could it be?

BREWZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS BNS UTE 1998
g`day the only thing i can think of is a bad earth usually if one blinker is faster than the other it meens there is less current being drawn meaning check your right front and rear are working also the one on the side of guard which i think you have but not certain i have a vr so if the 3 are working properly and the problem is still there take out each one and make sure thay are clean and earthing properly all else fails see a sparky cya brewza

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Just to confirm, you havent used an LED light to replace any of those bulbs?

ren11000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE A4
or a 24 volt globe, also check the wattage of the globes

b4k8ssz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Similar problem so threw put into this thread. I has a VS Statesman where right hand indicators blink faster than usual, checked all indicator lights outside and front indicator lamp not working, everything else on right had side working but blinking faster. Put on hazards and everything except the rhs front lamp works normally and at normal speed. So I thought - cool - found bulb had blown and replaced it with correct one. Still same problem, went and replaced flasher unit in the box under the steering wheel (nothing visually wrong with the old flasher unit), still same problem. Went hunting for loose wires under the right front bumper and nothing obviously loose.

So I had it go to the workshop anyway for something else, they found my replaced globe had blown after only a fortnight and they traced all wiring up to the dash (with a multimeter I assume) which was fine, so advised me to see auto electrician as they suspect something under the dash.

I never use it but I have a 7 pin trailer cable inside the boot. Been extremely humid and wet here but the really annoying thing is its the right hand front turn signal that people expect to see when I'm turning right at a roundabout!

Anyone else have advice or checks I can do before I donate hundreds of $$$ for an auto electrician to pull my dash apart? When I do get to auto electrician will post the answer here.

loopylay

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Berlina, soon to be VK SL 5.0L
I've got exactly the same problem with my VL, but it's the right rear blinker.

Globe replaced countless times, flasher unit replaced, wiring and earth checked (at home - not professionally). Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

I hate it cause I'm just waiting for someone to run up my behind while I'm waiting to turn right somewhere.

b4k8ssz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
on of my indicators blew due to a wet trailer plug, if it shorts, something has to give

b4k8ssz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Insidious electical bugs in VS Statesman

Swordsy - just on uestion, was your trailer plug wiring inside the boot or external? I just find it hard to beleive that a wet or faulty trailer plug would kill the front indicator, all my brake and tail lights up the back of the car work fine.

This is whats on the inside drivers side of the boot and tail light area. Pic attached on page 1 of this thread. Area is a tiny bit damp but car is usually garaged. We have had nearly a fortnight of continious rain in North QLD.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/54492-vs-indicators-dont-work-but-hazard-lights-do.html

I am not sure if its just co-incidence about the drivers side headlight last night, in any case its going to an auto electrician on Monday so we should have an answer then. Will keep people posted.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I've got exactly the same problem with my VL, but it's the right rear blinker.

Globe replaced countless times, flasher unit replaced, wiring and earth checked (at home - not professionally). Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

I hate it cause I'm just waiting for someone to run up my behind while I'm waiting to turn right somewhere.

Had the same thing in my VL, replaced the globe holders and tidied up the earth and fixed the problem. It's because the odd bump or motion causes shitty contacts to lose the connection.