Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rim size?

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
my olds vc came out with those terrible 14 inch steelies. As soon as i bought it off them on went some 15" Polished VK Calais mags.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Most likely a defect mate if you put 18s on your VK. The ruling is that your allowed to increase that "standard" wheel size to 2 inches bigger. there was never ever a VC SS model, only the VC HDT, the proper name for them.

my bad i was thinking vh

vl rb30e

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore s2 rb30e
i have 18 inch cromes on my vl and never had a problem and my mate has 20 inch rims on his vc brock

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Most likely a defect mate if you put 18s on your VK. The ruling is that your allowed to increase that "standard" wheel size to 2 inches bigger.

I have NO idea who started that rumour... but it's perpetuated by forums and magazines and blokes in garages across the country.

No such rule exists!

Apparently the law that DOES exist is that the biggest you can go is what was offered on the car (as in, you can buy a VY with steelies and stick 18" rims on it, because the SS had them, and that's what that model of car has been engineered for.)

But I'm yet to see any evidence of EITHER laws.

Either way, I have 15's, I know I'm safe ;)

edit: Oh let's not forget that 16's were available on VKs - 95% sure the HDT rims (forget their name... gr!) were available as a 16... so even going by the first law and second law 18s on a VK is legal :)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I have NO idea who started that rumour... but it's perpetuated by forums and magazines and blokes in garages across the country.

No such rule exists!

Apparently the law that DOES exist is that the biggest you can go is what was offered on the car (as in, you can buy a VY with steelies and stick 18" rims on it, because the SS had them, and that's what that model of car has been engineered for.)

But I'm yet to see any evidence of EITHER laws.

Either way, I have 15's, I know I'm safe ;)

edit: Oh let's not forget that 16's were available on VKs - 95% sure the HDT rims (forget their name... gr!) were available as a 16... so even going by the first law and second law 18s on a VK is legal :)

:whistling :whistling :whistling

"(i) Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) are not permitted to increase or decrease the diameter of the wheel by more than 50 mm than the largest or smallest wheel listed on the tyre placard."

Technically this means you can only go 1 inch larger as 2 inches is more than 50mm, however they are lenient and let it pass at 2 inches.

However, ADR 24 ceased to be in use from January 1st 2005. ADR 24 was Tyre and Rim Choice. This is now covered by ADR 23 (Passenger Car Tyres) and ADR 42 (General Safety Requirements).

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
oh yea!:w00t: i was only going to get like vy SS or monaro cv8 rims anyway so i'll say they'll pass em because there holden rims:thumbsup:

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
:whistling :whistling :whistling

"(i) Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) are not permitted to increase or decrease the diameter of the wheel by more than 50 mm than the largest or smallest wheel listed on the tyre placard."

Technically this means you can only go 1 inch larger as 2 inches is more than 50mm, however they are lenient and let it pass at 2 inches.

However, ADR 24 ceased to be in use from January 1st 2005. ADR 24 was Tyre and Rim Choice. This is now covered by ADR 23 (Passenger Car Tyres) and ADR 42 (General Safety Requirements).

I have recently been in communication with an RTA engineer, aquiring the knowledge to pass a project that I have going on.

We only the other day spoke on this subject and I have to say that you are spot on dude. I'm pretty sure that you comments are straight from the book, word-for-word.

However, he told me of a little secret and its legal. Buy a VT tyre placard and replace the old item. Its a loop hole at the moment .lmao
Kain

TEMPA1

Reaction score
Ok so legalities aside for a moment, what is the maximum rim diameter and width that will fit on a VH SLE without need to modify the cars body or suspension components?

I have seen two for sale with 18 and 19's (Holden wheels) on them. Are these just a straight bolt on proposition?

Thanks,

TEMPA

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
I have recently been in communication with an RTA engineer, aquiring the knowledge to pass a project that I have going on.

We only the other day spoke on this subject and I have to say that you are spot on dude. I'm pretty sure that you comments are straight from the book, word-for-word.

However, he told me of a little secret and its legal. Buy a VT tyre placard and replace the old item. Its a loop hole at the moment .lmao
Kain
ok where do i get one and how much are they?:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
ok where do i get one and how much are they?:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Well I havn't actually got that far (Still in production) - I'll find out and post it here, bearing in mind that that is current NSW law. Don't know about other states.
Kain