Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ripped off by engine builder?

Toyyyga

Reaction score
Members Ride
e2 r8 Clubsport
I have an 09 r8 e2 clubsport cammed and tuned with intake and exhaust. 417k2 (flywheel) and 850lb tq. It broke a valve spring 12 weeks after I bought it second hand with 95,000ks on it. Valve dropped, damaged piston and wrecked the head. I had a tuner recommended to me by several workshops and wreckers as the guy to goto. I decided to do conrod and piston, rings and bearings throughout, l92 replacement heads and new tune. He bought it back saying he only got 278rwkw old tune and his tune got 325. But it felt wrong and slower. I went back to the original tuner and found out is only got 307rwkw 800lb now and we put the old tune in to see what happened. We got same power 307 and 800lb but found out he'd leaned it out dangerously to get 2 or3 note kw mid range. Wtf has this prick done to make it lose 22kw and 50lb of tq????
Could be have changed crank?
Could it be l92 heads not the same flow as l98?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
LS2 engine? Cam Specs? Piston Specs?

No they can't change the crank, and L92 heads are the same as L98.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I have an 09 r8 e2 clubsport cammed and tuned with intake and exhaust. 417k2 (flywheel) and 850lb tq. It broke a valve spring 12 weeks after I bought it second hand with 95,000ks on it. Valve dropped, damaged piston and wrecked the head. I had a tuner recommended to me by several workshops and wreckers as the guy to goto. I decided to do conrod and piston, rings and bearings throughout, l92 replacement heads and new tune. He bought it back saying he only got 278rwkw old tune and his tune got 325. But it felt wrong and slower. I went back to the original tuner and found out is only got 307rwkw 800lb now and we put the old tune in to see what happened. We got same power 307 and 800lb but found out he'd leaned it out dangerously to get 2 or3 note kw mid range. Wtf has this prick done to make it lose 22kw and 50lb of tq????
Could be have changed crank?
Could it be l92 heads not the same flow as l98?
Dyno is a diagnostic tool, nothing more. Will always get a variance between two dyno's.
Also original tuner has more to gain by giving you a lower result, easy to fudge dyno results.

Toyyyga

Reaction score
Members Ride
e2 r8 Clubsport
LS2 engine? Cam Specs? Piston Specs?

No they can't change the crank, and L92 heads are the same as L98.

its an ls3 with a hsv stage 2 cam. I'll be doing dryc and wet comp tests next week to find out if he did rings etc.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Wtf has this prick done to make it lose 22kw and 50lb of tq????

oh this one is easy:

the "prick" is you have new rings. and as 'bedded' as they may be, nothing yields power like a loose assembly. by redo'ing rings bearings etc youre tightening up the engine, increasing friction and thus losing power.

thrash the guts off it for a few 1000 kms then take it back.

Toyyyga

Reaction score
Members Ride
e2 r8 Clubsport
Oh btw we only replaced the one conrod and piston.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
its an ls3 with a hsv stage 2 cam. I'll be doing dryc and wet comp tests next week to find out if he did rings etc.
What's a HSV stage 2 cam?

Toyyyga

Reaction score
Members Ride
e2 r8 Clubsport
Thanks I'll do that. Still don't get why he gave me a dyno sheet showing two runs. One 278rwkw (he said old tune) then another 325 (he says with his tune). I've gone back to kpm racing and they got 307 with both his and the old tune? Why did he lie do you think?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
No one lied ffs! Different dyno's different result. Different day, which means different atmospheric conditions means different result.
You just seem concerned about a pretty number on paper, just get them to loosen the straps off and you can have 350rwkw.