Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Road rules: Making right turn

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
Reading this, again makes me sooo glad I live in a small town with no traffic lights or lots of cars on the road.:D

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
I'm pretty damn sure red light cameras aren't pointed in that direction i.e your case. If they are there, then they only point to the trafic heading straight ahead. ;)

not true ive seen some flash on turning cars as well but in this case youll be right

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
you'll be fine it is legal at traffic lights to roll into the intersection and if the light does turn orange you are legally allowed to go through the orange and as in your case the red because as said above it is only triggered after the light is red when a car comes from behind the line. its one thing that i will always remember from 2 yrs ago doing driving skool:)

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
yeah red light cameras (at least the ones i seen round here) only get you as your heading away from them, if you were turning right, the route your car was traveling would likely just make it appear that your car was headed that way all along.

btw, i hate people that ENTER the intersection to do right hand turns after their light's are red. but in your case it sounds like the other guy (coming towards you) was a d***head.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The Intersection of Beach Rd and Main South Road (Adelaide)has 3 red light cameras.

One camera for cars travelling south along Main South Rd and two cameras (1 for each lane) for the cars travelling south and turning right onto Beach Rd from Main South Rd.

When they installed them they were going off like a machine gun. Only took a few weeks to stop cars from running the red light!!!

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
As others have said, pretty sure you'll be alright. If you do get pinged (unlikely) it'd be worth contesting because of the difficult position you were in.

I hate when people push the limits of the light. I have gone through many an amber light thinking "should've stopped then" only to count one, two, three, four cars come through behind me, and many times see traffic that now has a green light slam on the brakes to avoid hitting traffic that has just completely ignored the fact that the light is now red.

It is truly infuriating. Traffic would actually flow smoothly if people followed the god damn rules.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
with you entirely shaggerz,

every morning i have to turn right at a busy roundabout.
every morning i almost get smashed by oncoming traffic who don't know how to work roundabouts.
most days i just come straight through, and get on the horn if they really look like they're gonna hit me (bumper could do with a free respray :D )

Just_Ice

Reaction score
but it is illegal to enter an intersection unless you can make your turn without stopping.
I don't think many get done for it as it can be petty but the law is there.
In WA the law goes as far as to state that apart from not entering the intersection you must also have your wheels straight in case a vehicle hits you from behind. This is to prevent you from being bumped/pushed into oncoming traffic.

Hey do you have the relevant section for this........

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
if you say what happened then the other car should be in the picture ..... and i'm sure also that you shouldn't be waiting in the middle of the intersection ... play it safe, stop at the line, only go when you have the all clear ....