Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Road side problem

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
sorry mate to hear the bad news but i bet my bottom dollar that this was a block in the oil pump pick up and i know this for a fact as i was reading street machines guide on how to hot up an ecotec motor and they said: the ecotoec motor is good but miss to many oil changes and the tiny oil pick up gets blocked up causeing oil pressure failure(which in turn seized motor) they also added: theres many a ecotec sitting in the wreckers with a hole in the block or seized! so be carefull when checking around for a second hand motor it could be seized! imo i would buy one out of a car from the trade/post thats been rear ended whith the motor still running in it that way you know its quiet and smooth then first thing when you get it home and in do oil change and filter!

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Blocked oil pump is what did my cam bearing in.
Was caused by bits of rubber/and/or silicone inside the pickup shroud.
As my motor was a transplant to begin with (about 40000klm ago) and I haven't used any silicone inside the engine I have to assume that it was from the previous owner.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Big mistake when you do the harmonic balancer is to smear the outside of the crank surface (as it says in the manual sparingly)with a fingerful of silicone.
Trouble is you probably need about abpot a 500 th of that amount to do the job.
As you wind the balancer on to the crank it extrudes the excess out the side into a extremely thin but large piece of silicone and it falls into the sump and eventually wraps around oil pickup screen and then no oil picked up from screen = no oil pressure and if you keep driving no engine.
I bought my car with this problem (cheap)and I fixed it before it got to the trashed engine stage...took sump off and tipped it upside down and a huge piece of silicone fell out.

304cci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8
theres only one way to test it, no point in guessing.
remove the oil press sensor, fit a oil press. gauge (find a mechanic that will let you borrow it) and check with specs in book. check at idle & 2500rpm

if you tell me the specs ill tell you preceisly whats the problem is.
some problems may be.
blocked oil pump strainer
holes/cracks in pickup
excess big end play
excess pump gear play
faulty oil filter
blockage in galleries
incorrect oil

let me know how you go?