Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roadside stationary noise test - non-VFII

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Tonight was pulled up for random breath test as usual, dude said hmm the car sounded modified, exhaust too loud, etc. Took my licence, blew in the bag, checked height, tyres, asked if it was supercharged (nope, then why the 470 badge?) please pop the bonnet Sir, went over the bay, MAF, headers, I explained was all factory but swapped special engine covers.
View media item 117He took down build date and VIN, brought back an iPad and showed me stuff from the web about federal noise test, basically said I was stuffed and was going to sample the noise signature at 4000 rpm and back off.
I wasn't really hopeful after recently measuring and recording levels myself:
Yeah nah was looking at 82db... seems pretty low given the ambient was mid 60s. I've only the rear cans, but they are bi-modals with an override key fob for just such an occasion. So I hit the panic button, started it up revved it to 4k and had to hold it there for a fair while then backed off quickly as directed.
88db peak which was 1 db over limit so he let me off :eek: (glad I tuned out the Rice Bubbles).
In the detail SS VE-VF1 is 82db @ 4000 rpm signature with a discretionary 5db buffer.
Bloody SS VFII with the Baillie top is 88db for manual and 89db for the auto so max 94db at just 3750.
Point is there is a massive difference between 82db target non-VFII and 94db max for VFII, to the point if you stick VFII on prior models you are busted - on the spot and hit with an order to remedy a defect.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Bi-modals for the win!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Looking at the Excel file with the vehicle lists - see https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/environment/noise.aspx - it doesn't seem to list the Holden 6.2 litre models at all. Maybe they use the 6.2 litre HSVs figures instead for the VF2s?
True it is not listed as Holden Commodore but Holden Clubsport on that sheet, but it is listed in the preferred current reference database, the Green Guide.
Check out Mini Cooper JCW allowed 99db, and AMG C class 98db +5db = 103 to 104db!
Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 12.18.38 am.png

A bit unfair that wealthy metrosexuals can have sports exhausts louder than an outboard, mower or garbage truck yet we with pre-VFII V8s have to keep shtumm? Like a clamp down on... bogan ban:(?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Seems a bit odd, shouldn't there be just a single level that all cars should meet?

Here in NZ I believe it is 95 dB for older cars but if they fail that then they must meet the new standard which is lower at only 90 dB I believe.

I've also found that most NZ cops have no idea how to administer a proper noise test (engine revs, location of dB meter etc).

82 dB is really a totally bollocks target for a V8 unless it is really badly choked up with a **** exhaust.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Seems a bit odd, shouldn't there be just a single level that all cars should meet?

Here in NZ I believe it is 95 dB for older cars but if they fail that then they must meet the new standard which is lower at only 90 dB I believe.

I've also found that most NZ cops have no idea how to administer a proper noise test (engine revs, location of dB meter etc).

82 dB is really a totally bollocks target for a V8 unless it is really badly choked up with a **** exhaust.
Yeah my point exactly. Motorbikes, in primary school I grew up on an XR75 with a straight through, but things have changed - how can it be fair for 1.8l v-twins be allowed no muffler whatsoever yet a six litre V8 commercial vehicle only permitted to travel if total noise is less than 20db over ambient?!
FFS cops should be policing the diesel particulate laws instead of picking on poor, old / mid-life crisis bogans!

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I'm confused as to how the noise standard works. I've partly read it and it states that certain vehicles are allowed a particular noise level then a small margin (of 1dB) if it has an engine over a certain power and a gear box with more than 4 ratios. I'm not sure if I'm confusing drive-by with stationary noise levels.

Where does using a lookup table for each model come in to it? It seems strange having a (general) standard for noise limits then having a noise limit for each particular model!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Is it possible to set stationary rev limit to say 3000rpm (or less) and just look dumb/scratch head as to why it wont rev higher? Could buy some sweet talkin time and allow the popo to chill for a sec and actually appreciate the sweet sound that we pay thousands for.......or not.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Is it possible to set stationary rev limit to say 3000rpm (or less) and just look dumb/scratch head as to why it wont rev higher? Could buy some sweet talkin time and allow the popo to chill for a sec and actually appreciate the sweet sound that we pay thousands for.......or not.
You could do that, but consider that depending on your setup it might be louder around 3k vs 4k. Also from what I gather it is much more likely to be louder when you back off and pop, snap, crackle.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I agree, it's the sudden backing off the throttle that makes em pop and fart that creates the most noise.

I saw one NZ cop do a road side noise test and all he did was fairly much rev the snot out of it and then off the gas a number of times and then fail the car for been too noisy. I recon just about any decent sports car will fail the test when performed like that.