Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rockers or cam?

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
Going a cam will make more power then say a set rockers, however there is also much more work involved (read $$$ if you can't do the work yourself). A tune is also needs to be factored in as well to suit the cam.

I personally won't do a cam install on a V6 as you do run the risk of spinning a cam bearing shortly after installing a new cam. Not common but it does happen, so it's something I could live without LOL :D

On this note we do sell and stock cams and rockers so we certainly do have an understanding as to which application they are most suitable for ;)

what would the gains from 1.98 be on an engine with an encloesd pod CAI (fit), extractors and redback 2.5'' catback? and how much would it cost installed... alot of posts on this site seem to be from vic, i'm in the hawkesbury nsw

MACE

Reaction score
What if you were to get better cam bearings as well?

What I said is mostly applicable when installing a cam on a second hand engine. Installing a new cam with new bearings is ideal in many applications however in some of the high end stuff it's recommended that the cam bearings are doweled

what would the gains from 1.98 be on an engine with an encloesd pod CAI (fit), extractors and redback 2.5'' catback? and how much would it cost installed... alot of posts on this site seem to be from vic, i'm in the hawkesbury nsw

In regards to power gains they can range from 13-20kw at the wheels with the 1..98:1 ratio rockers with your current mods. Installation can cost around $180 give or take, but is quite easy to install if patient ;) We are located in Vic but post post off items Australia wide on a daily basis.

DavoCam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Just wondering... with the high ratio rockers produce a tappet noise once installed??

MACE

Reaction score
Just wondering... with the high ratio rockers produce a tappet noise once installed??

Not at all, unless you've installed stiffer springs or are running a different cam.

Otherwise if they are noisy then the main reasons would be that there isn't there isn't enough lifter preload/crush or that the pushrods are touching the cylinder heads.

Last edited:

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Not at all, provided you've installed stiffer springs or are running a different cam. The main reason for a the higher ratio rockers to be noisy is if there isn't enough lifter preload/crush or that the pushrods are touching the cylinder heads.

So when you install the higher ratio rockers you need to purchase stiffer spirngs? (correct me if im wrong but do you mean valve springs?)

And also ive heard this is an easy mod to install yourself with a small amount of car knowledge, is this correct?

MACE

Reaction score
So when you install the higher ratio rockers you need to purchase stiffer spirngs? (correct me if im wrong but do you mean valve springs?)

And also ive heard this is an easy mod to install yourself with a small amount of car knowledge, is this correct?

Doh! I read my post again and it was inaccurately written :banstick: LOL

All fixed now :D

In regards to your questions stiffer springs are not required. As for installation, they are quite easy to do as shown in the link below. Just add street commodores together where the *** are in link below for it to work

http://www.****************.com.au/images/tech/PDF/143-146 POWR.pdf

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
mace when you gonna do a nice special on these rockers so we can all buy a set!

MACE

Reaction score
mace when you gonna do a nice special on these rockers so we can all buy a set!

Our pricing with this family of products represents the best bank for buck on the market for the ecotecs. However if you want an even better price best to PM me as I may having something kicking about ;)

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
just thought i would chuck my 2 bob in, ok atm i have a vr v6, extractors, 2 1/2 exhaust, pod, cai, shift kit n tune.
now im doing this other engine up out of my other vr, very clean engine, only 120 km on clock, was originally going to put cam and rockers in it, which is bout $1200, to do this my self as well im talking, and gaskets for rebuild was going to be about $200, so $1400 was going to have a good motor right, well aparently not.
i rang a couple of places to see what they thought about various pistons for this motor, and i told them what i have done and what im doing and they said that my bores might be glazed, i would also need to change my cam bearings if going to a new cam otherwise 4/10 cases after 1000km it will just spin cam bearings,
so i had a talk to one bloke right, he said he can do me a deal,yella terra roller rockers 1.7 or 1.8 ratio, crow cam stage 3, bored out 20 though (this is instead of checking for glazing of bore and more power) bigger pistons, graphite gasket set, new cam bearings installed (need a special tool for this?) and also sending my block away from Wagga Wagga NSW to Victoria and back, all this for $2500, so im more inclined to go this way

this was at port city engines as well if you are wondering who, they build these engines for speedway cars, they said with these upgrades should be pushing 200rwk easy

but for you my friend, rockers are so much easier than a cam mate, but yea

and sorry for my bad spelling