Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Ron Burgundy" 08' VE Omega.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
it's not the factory fitted one, this was fitted in 2011. and there is no actual cert that came with the car and no workplace stamped on the plaque in the bay.
LPG installs must be certified and must have a plaque/sticker within the engine bay which has the installers registration number, install date and such details listed. LPG vehicles must have a LPG tag fixed to the number plate. Such info must also be sent to the registration authority which then reflect on your rego papers.

If such hasn’t been done, and you don’t have all the musts above, then your LPG install isn’t legal.

Since you bought the vehicle at a dealer, where it must be roadworthy at the time of sale, I’d go back to them and get it sorted out so the LPG install is kosher and working as it should.

Me, I’d want the LPG install to be 100% legit and working (clean filters, etc) as it saves on running costs and adds value to the vehicle… As I see it, tossing the LPG install is tossing money ways…

PS: nice looking car… but I’d have left the spoiler on it :p

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
LPG installs must be certified and must have a plaque/sticker within the engine bay which has the installers registration number, install date and such details listed. LPG vehicles must have a LPG tag fixed to the number plate. Such info must also be sent to the registration authority which then reflect on your rego papers.

If such hasn’t been done, and you don’t have all the musts above, then your LPG install isn’t legal.

Since you bought the vehicle at a dealer, where it must be roadworthy at the time of sale, I’d go back to them and get it sorted out so the LPG install is kosher and working as it should.

Me, I’d want the LPG install to be 100% legit and working (clean filters, etc) as it saves on running costs and adds value to the vehicle… As I see it, tossing the LPG install is tossing money ways…

PS: nice looking car… but I’d have left the spoiler on it :p
It's got the plaque and all that, It's stated on the rego papers that its LPG/dual fuel, and the LPG sticker on the plates, so its all legit. Just haven't asked too many questions on it and never took the time to do the research on it yet as it's my first dual fuel I've owned. I am just running to the mechanic so they can tell me what style I have. I will ask about the filters too while I am there. This is all new info to me and very handy, so I appreciate it a million.

haha as for the spoiler, I like it more when on, just took it off to see how it is without as I have a couple of dents above the number plate, so I am gonna be getting a new trunk lid and gonna eventually put a bootlip on it. Just too lazy to put the spoiler back on.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Looks like your LPG tank is over 10 years old.
Gas guy you go to will by law test and certificate that when you are there.
Your insurance company will need certification as well of course or you will be null and void with them.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like your LPG tank is over 10 years old.
Gas guy you go to will by law test and certificate that when you are there.
Your insurance company will need certification as well of course or you will be null and void with them.
Guess I will find out when I go in. It was re-certified or whatever you would call it in 2016 if I remember correctly.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Should be ok then.
Do have it checked though, it’s important to your insurance company.
Yes, I’ve had LPG vehicles in the past and insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of paying if something is not correct.
I was always 100 percent of course.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Should be ok then.
Do have it checked though, it’s important to your insurance company.
Yes, I’ve had LPG vehicles in the past and insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of paying if something is not correct.
I was always 100 percent of course.
It's insured as dual fuel fortunately. Was odd tho, when I got the car and tried to insure it, no insurance company wanted to insure me. I don't know if that was due to a claim I made a month earlier, but that claim was for when those february brissy floods happened and lost my hatchback. My insurance company at the time said they will be happy to insure me once I get my new vehicle, but I don't know what happened to that. So had to insure it under the old girl with there vehicles. Turns out cheaper for full comp anyways haha

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am just running to the mechanic so they can tell me what style I have. I will ask about the filters too while I am there.
From the last pic in your first post on this thread, it seems clear that you have a gas injection system. The gas injection solenoids are this round black things with the red rings around them, 3 either side of the intake manifold. They send gas via a home into the intake as commanded by the electronic module (just like fuel injectors do). This gas injection solenoids are fed LPG gas from the evaporator (the big round thing that sits near the ABS unit).

The evaporator is fed LPG liquid from the tank (which uses internal tank pressure to feed it) and it’s fed coolant to provide the heat needed to stop the system icing up. I believe there is a liquid filter and a gas filter but not sure exactly. I also understand the system always star5 s on petrol and won’t switch to gas until coolant reaches a specific temp (which can cause some issues if the LPG coolant temp sender is faulty).

Seems you have the second best system installed which is the type system that Holden used. The best system is liquid injection but as I understand only Ford sold a vehicle with such a system factory installed.

The VF workshop manual defines the LPG system and where each component lives. It will be rather similar to the VE system so downloading the PDF and checking it out may answer many of your questions. Just use the bookmark tab to navigate the PDF else it’s a PITA. You can find a link to the the VF workshop manual by clicking this here.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
From the last pic in your first post on this thread, it seems clear that you have a gas injection system. The gas injection solenoids are this round black things with the red rings around them, 3 either side of the intake manifold. They send gas via a home into the intake as commanded by the electronic module (just like fuel injectors do). This gas injection solenoids are fed LPG gas from the evaporator (the big round thing that sits near the ABS unit).

The evaporator is fed LPG liquid from the tank (which uses internal tank pressure to feed it) and it’s fed coolant to provide the heat needed to stop the system icing up. I believe there is a liquid filter and a gas filter but not sure exactly. I also understand the system always star5 s on petrol and won’t switch to gas until coolant reaches a specific temp (which can cause some issues if the LPG coolant temp sender is faulty).

Seems you have the second best system installed which is the type system that Holden used. The best system is liquid injection but as I understand only Ford sold a vehicle with such a system factory installed.

The VF workshop manual defines the LPG system and where each component lives. It will be rather similar to the VE system so downloading the PDF and checking it out may answer many of your questions. Just use the bookmark tab to navigate the PDF else it’s a PITA. You can find a link to the the VF workshop manual by clicking this here.
Well there you go, thanks a heap for that insight. And thank you for taking the time to explain something that I would've been to lazy to look for myself. When I see old mate, I will ask all the questions about the system, see if he can even give it a quick inspection and tell me if any filters or parts need replacing to be used safely.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Others may disagree but the standard intake system is rather good and an encased pod filter wont make much difference to airflow or power. (It may change engine not since the standard system is made to be quiet and comply with laws.)

As such you won’t need any tune to cater for the trivial airflow change the encased pod filter will cause.

Me, I’d spend more time on going over the car to ensure it’s spot on. Stuff like changing/flushing all fluids, checking all bushes and shocks are performing within expected limits, the wheel alignment is correct, tyre wear is good (and you still have tread to speak of), brake rotors and pads are within limit, all filters are good or have been replaced (cabin, engine air and oil, lpg filters, etc…), spark plugs are good or have been replaced (I think dual fuel vehicles have different plug or gap settings), etc, etc, etc.

You know such stuff that will ensure the vehicle will continue ue to perform at its best. Pod filters and such are just a bit of a joke really (though very profitable for the sellers of such widgets).

Getting back to tune, the factory tunes are conservative in nature and done to preserve the bottom line through reduced warranty claims. Doing a tune without any mods, where the tune becomes less conservative and thus less protective of warranty claims will likley yield more power… But the question then becomes one of where that power is realised. If it’s mostly at the top end, who drives on public roads at max revs most of the time? No one that wants to preserve their license :p

If you want mods, take your intake piping off and check for any oiling of the intake. If you’ve got any, fit a catch can to stop the motor ingesting lots of oil through yne intake and causing other drivability problems on the way to gumming things up ;)