Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roof lining

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Did the one in my VP ute no worries. Also added insulation inside the panels and way more in the roof itself so the car was really quiet after it was done.
What type and thickness of insulation did you use
I need to do vn sedan seems good idea
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What type and thickness of insulation did you use
I need to do vn sedan seems good idea
Cheers

I used blanket it has foil and a thinnish layer of rockwool. Even, so I had to peal a couple of layers of the rockwool off, as I was concerned it would warp my board if it had to much pressure.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I did similar on my VP, both my Crewmans and VE Calais. Used felt blanket and thin foil/foam from Clark Blubber. Also that white insulation used in quilts to fill the spaces. You get that in a roll at Spotlight. It’s cheap.

I posted my most recent job of it in my Cross 8 thread.

Doing it yourself, use 3M High Tac 90 or at least 75. Can be ordered from Bunnings but I use an online seller on eBay who gets it faster & cheaper than Bunnings.
Good chance to use a better fabric too. I used a premade scrim foam and macro suede. It was a forum member here that got me onto it. Previous I was using Warwick fabric macro suede and gluing it to a sheet of scrim foam.

Coaldust666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG
If you think about it you can leave some of the cover strips in place and still get the headlining out and then re-installed. It is difficult to get cover strips out without breaking a few clips. I did my sedan recently and a local upholsterer supplied and installed the new fabric for me for $120. I did all the prep work and took the headlining out and put it back in. A wire brush does a good job of getting old glue off the cardboard.
I also had to re-glue the metal ribs to the car's roof while the headlining was out. Those ribs are only spot glued to the roof during manufacture, not welded and they had come completely free from the roof in my car. That complicated the job but it's probably a rare problem. I installed some temporary timber supports across the car to wedge the ribs up against the roof while the new glue dried. I drove the car around for a week or so with the supports in place while the glue cured.
None of the removal or reinstallation is particularly difficult, just fiddly in places. It's a good job for an amateur because you can take the time to do a tidy job that would make it expensive if paying a pro to do it.
What's the go with those roof ribs mate? I've just done my wagon liner and it's not sitting against the roof right. Thinking I might have missed something here?
I only had a few velcro strips on the steel