Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rotor machining

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
help... i ended up just getting a cheap single rotor just to get me out of trouble cause it was really bad and minimum dollars..anyways im outside now trying to put the new one on..but now im stuck. remember it a VS commodore, front driver side, I undid the bolts that hold that brake callipers, two in the front and two bigger and harder ones that held the other half of the brake caliipers..they are all removed.. should i just be able to pull the whole rotor out now??? if I am, it aint buddging.. have I missed another set of bolts?? help~~~~

Should of only needed to undo 2 bolts, the two big ones that hold the calliper to the *strut, then withdraw the calliper from the rotor.
If the rotor isn't coming free, just tap around the outside edge of it it till it loosens, it'l let go after a while, WD40 will help too. :)

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Soak it in wd 40 overnight then try to hit it off.You are replacing it so just belt it off with a hammer and a piece of wood.

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
help... i ended up just getting a cheap single rotor just to get me out of trouble cause it was really bad and minimum dollars..anyways im outside now trying to put the new one on..but now im stuck. remember it a VS commodore, front driver side, I undid the bolts that hold that brake callipers, two in the front and two bigger and harder ones that held the other half of the brake caliipers..they are all removed.. should i just be able to pull the whole rotor out now??? if I am, it aint buddging.. have I missed another set of bolts?? help~~~~

Where do you live.... I need to know so I don't ever drive near there...

Seriously man...how much is your life worth? I can't understand that A: you let the rotor get that bed in the first place and B: that you can't afford to fix it properly so instead risk the live's of everyone else on the road.

If the drivers side is that bad then I can guarantee that the passenger side is nearly as bad (unless you have a seized calliper in which case you better start saving). Please Please Please...get someone who knows what they are doing to give you a hand to do the job properly. Yes, the rotor hat is stuck on the hub, I don't mean to offend you but if you don't know enough about brakes to carry on from here then you don't know enough about them to have started working on them in the first place.

Fact is - you need new rotors, and probably new pads. Machining is not an option by the sounds of it.

If you choose to continue, hit the rotor hat with a hammer, hell even hit the rotor face itself since its obviously stuffed anyway until is slips loose.

Last edited:

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
^^^^^^^^ I agree.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Gonna have to agree with above.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This poor guy admits he is broke but at least hes on here trying to get some help and trying to get his car roadworthy..Not everyone can afford to repair their cars as soon as things wear out etc.How about helping him out instead of bagging him out.And how many people on here pull their brakes apart and dont know exactly what they are doing.Quite a few Id say.Whats he supposed to do,leave it like it was and just drive it until he can afford to pay to get it fixed.I say good on you mate for getting in and having a go.I know exactly what its like to do it tough.

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
This poor guy admits he is broke but at least hes on here trying to get some help and trying to get his car roadworthy..Not everyone can afford to repair their cars as soon as things wear out etc.How about helping him out instead of bagging him out.And how many people on here pull their brakes apart and dont know exactly what they are doing.Quite a few Id say.Whats he supposed to do,leave it like it was and just drive it until he can afford to pay to get it fixed.I say good on you mate for getting in and having a go.I know exactly what its like to do it tough.

First of all, I did give the guys some advice on his problem..

Secondly, forgive me for not sharing your sympathy for the guy. Just because a person is broke doesn't mean they are exempt from the law. Laws such as those that apply to brake rotor thickness exist for the protection of not only the occupant of the vehicle but other road users as well. Obviously the original rotor is bad enough now that it MUST be changed (if it wasn't urgent then surely the guy would have saved up to fix it properly). For a rotor to urgently need replacing it must be a good ~3mm undersized which in real terms means the car has probably done about ~10,000kms on dangerous undersized rotors prior to getting to this point.

Would you be sitting here forgiving the guy saying, 'oh the poor guy was broke and couldn't afford new brake rotors that's why he crashed into my family and killed them all...but he had a go at it himself at least...' I think not.

"What's he supposed to do?" Listen to the advice he is being given would be a good start. 4 people including yourself told the guy to replace both rotors at once...and he goes and buys one...what's the point in trying to help the guy if it goes in one ear and out the other...

I'm not trying to offend him or anyone else for that matter but people need to value human life a little more.

luvmycommodores

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II V6
Hey All.. Dont worry ..all is well. Old rotten rotor successfully extracted.it was very fused from the heat of a severely warped rotor. bolted it back up and went for a good test run and then re-checked and tightened all bolts again. No pulling, no death wobbles,no noises, perfectly stops. (much safer now) I know my plea sounded scary but i was just asking to make sure i had to smack the thing out, i didn't want to be smacking aimlessly..did check the others and all good. i didn't let these rotors get this bad I had just bought this car recently and died on way home from purchase, ripped off!. i had to refit a newer engine 2 weeks ago, and now im just going through each thing that's wrong with it and make the car worthwhile somehow. .but rest assured will get complete front done by end of the month...lol thanks brett! and fully understand your concerns The whealdeal :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
And if you look at the top of this thread, we give him decent advice.