Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle Alloytec

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Fella's.
Heard a rattling sound coming from the engine the other day. Popped the hood during idle and removed the left bank cover. The sound was coming from the Purge Control solenoid. My understanding was this is not supposed to work at idle? Can anybody shed some light on the conditions it is supposed to operate? Tested it last night and it seems to be working fine. Thinking it may have something to do with the rough idle I experience from time to time.
Your thoughts please.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 6,038

shanen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon MY06
I have the same problem but would discribe the noise a ticking.
If you hold it you can feel it chattering away.
Will post a vid tomorrow.

imoore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV ute
all it does is vents out the charcoal canister. if this was to operate at idle the engine would get extra fuel and air. this would quite possibly cause a rough idle. an idea when it does idle rough unplug it and see what happens if it smooths out or not. but keep in mind it will throw an engine light.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Would like to try and disconnect. But I've got to catch it first. Thats the problem.

Shanen. Have you made that videos yet?

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Thanks for that. Exactly same as mine. Gave it a tap and it stopped. Could be getting jammed? May try a replacement.

Sent Holden Customer service an email about the problem last week. Got a voicemail from them yesterday wanting me to call them back. Great I thought. Might have some info on the problem. Rang them today quoting their reference number. Quoted number to the rep, put on hold.....finally replys later with, please consult your Holden Service Technical Advisor on your issue. What a waste of time! Would have been easy to say that on the voicemail.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Spoke to a Holden Technical Guru today. He says it is normal for the PCS to operate during idle.

shanen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon MY06
Ok... Nothing to worry about then?

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Looks that way. He also said rough idle on the Alloytec is normal. Bah.

Bullshit. "Normal" when it is caused by something requires servicing/replacement.
The PCS is feeding miniscule amounts of vapour into the engine all the time and by this action it does not cause rough idle. For all that can be said, what about a dirty MAFS? Cold engine? Too many short trips? Spark plugs? Dirty injectors? Unserviceable fuel filter? A slight bump now and then does not qualified a "rough idle".