Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

roundabout rules?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Best way to think of a round about is a round road with a bunch of T-junctions coming off it.

Standard rules apply from there.

What annoys me is people giving way to cars that are approaching the round about just because they are approaching from their right.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
What annoys me is people giving way to cars that are approaching the round about just because they are approaching from their right.

this is the point I am trying to make! this is the part we all need to be re-educated about,
obviously any vehicle that has ENTERED the roundabout will be coming from your right, it is not the law to sit there and allow all vehicles coming down the right street to enter if there is a gap that you can safely take.
we should all slow down when approaching a round about and only stop if a vehicle has entered or will enter before you.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
this is the point I am trying to make! this is the part we all need to be re-educated about,
obviously any vehicle that has ENTERED the roundabout will be coming from your right, it is not the law to sit there and allow all vehicles coming down the right street to enter if there is a gap that you can safely take.
we should all slow down when approaching a round about and only stop if a vehicle has entered or will enter before you.

Fine in theory, but if I can refer again to my local roundabout. I will enter from a 50kph zone, while traffic on my left is in a 70kph zone. I'm not travelling at sufficient speed to avoid a collision even if I get over the line first and they are close to entering the roundabout. As I said, patience and common sense on your part, because the other "**** for brains" possesses neither attribute.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The law states that you must give way to any vehicle on the roundabout or any vehicle approaching the roundabout on your right.

That means you can enter the roundabout providing you do not cause any vehicle who is on the roundabout, or approaching the roundabout on your right to alter their speed or direction in order to avoid a collision.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
calaber, I get it, hence this thread WE ALL need re educating to slow down when approaching a round about, I know it is grasping at straws because most people are just plain ignorant.

monkeys437 that is most peoples perception of the rule which is WRONG, you do not have to give way to those approaching the round about from the right, unless it is clear that they will enter before you.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
The law states that you must give way to any vehicle on the roundabout or any vehicle approaching the roundabout on your right.

That means you can enter the roundabout providing you do not cause any vehicle who is on the roundabout, or approaching the roundabout on your right to alter their speed or direction in order to avoid a collision.

Err... which law states that? Please produce this because I know for a fact you are talking out your arse just at the moment. ;)

The rule is you have to give way to any vehicle already IN the round about.

The only vehicles you have to give way to that are APPROACHING the round about are trams.

Source:
Road Safety Road Rules 2009, Part 9, r114: Giving way when entering or driving in a roundabout

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/PubStatbook.nsf/b05145073fa2a882ca256da4001bc4e7/36E852AA5A0D62CACA25761E001F5FF1/$FILE/09-094sr.pdf

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
calaber, I get it, hence this thread WE ALL need re educating to slow down when approaching a round about, I know it is grasping at straws because most people are just plain ignorant.

monkeys437 that is most peoples perception of the rule which is WRONG, you do not have to give way to those approaching the round about from the right, unless it is clear that they will enter before you.

Agree... though I think that the current initial education is the cause of the issue and therefore as you suggested re-education is needed.

All issues solved with harshed driver testing and re-testing every 3 - 5 years for EVERYONE.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Some people here need to have driving lessons again.

FFS...

Road rules are not up for debate, there is no opinions about what you can and can't do. It's black ####en white!

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Some people here need to have driving lessons again.

FFS...

Road rules are not up for debate, there is no opinions about what you can and can't do. It's black ####en white!
Well I think we all do. They change a bit and I m sure there are new rules I am not aware of. Given I’ve had my licence for 32 years. The thing is you can get away with it if you are courteous and realise you are not the only person on the road.