Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

runing temp on a vt

gigdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon 1999
hay guys my vt temp runs just under half can I get it to run any cooler than that and if so how thanks in advance

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
About 1/3 on the gauge is perfectly normal and where it should be.
If it was fluctualting, then I'd be concerned. Once warmed up, it should never move.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Running cooler makes it use excess fuel, if you want it to you can fit a 82c thermostat or remove the center plate from your current one.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Hold the mode and down buttons , turn the key to acc and let them go , you will hear a beep ( diagnostics mode )and a Pxxxx will appear . Start car and press mode till the digital temp appears and then drive it .
Normal driving temps are around 92 deg but they will vary between 88-99 with the thermostat opening and closing !

The needle gauge won't move at all from just under half but the digital one will vary a lot till it stays around 91 deg under normal driving conditions
They are designed to run fairly hot for emission control
The diagnostics mode will end when you turn your ignition off and the normal odometer will return next time you start it

Oh and don't worry if you hit the mode a few times and everything lights up and beeps , it's a dash test that comes up after the digital speedo from memory

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
Funny enough ,i tightend a few hoses yesterday ,that were leaking, and went for drive, temp all good, stoped and washed the car, checked temp again, up to 99c ,started temp droped to 92 93, hot day here yesterday, temp was all good

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Funny enough ,i tightend a few hoses yesterday ,that were leaking, and went for drive, temp all good, stoped and washed the car, checked temp again, up to 99c ,started temp droped to 92 93, hot day here yesterday, temp was all good
Sounds normal as the coolant isn't being pushed by waterpump and is sitting on the temp sensor. Soon as you fire it up the flow is circulating again and brings it down to normal temps . It's actually scary having the digital gauge up as you reliese how much it fluctuates till it settles it self around 91/92 deg ,
The fans don't kick in till 104 then both around 115 deg which is around a needle width over halfway on gauge

gigdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon 1999
it will sit just under half constantly but when I run it on gas it moves up and on hot days the engine light will come on when I am using gas a mechanic told me it is because the gas runs hotter it is tripping the sensor so make it run cooler but he didn't say how to make it run cooler and that is the reason for the question thanks for your answers and your help

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
it will sit just under half constantly but when I run it on gas it moves up and on hot days the engine light will come on when I am using gas a mechanic told me it is because the gas runs hotter it is tripping the sensor so make it run cooler but he didn't say how to make it run cooler and that is the reason for the question thanks for your answers and your help
I don't know about gas making a car that's properly tuned to run hotter maybe they do but I don't think petrol or gas would affect the cooling temps of a car if everything is good in the cooling side of things
But the only way to make it run colder is a 82 deg thermostat , I can't understand why mechanic didn't mention this
Pretty sure LPG needs different ignition leads and plugs ?maybe it's leaning out with gas as this will cause more engine heat

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
The cooling systems on these cars are ample -especially if a V6.
If LPG makes a little more heat for whatever reason, the cooling system should easily deal with it, and you still shouldn't see it on your gauge.

D

devilly

are you running any oil with the gas ? my old vc on lpg oil bottle top right, with valve saver in it,so the lines don't heat up and lpg evaporate.

Attachments

• KATS 4 sale 002.jpg
    KATS 4 sale 002.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 171