Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Runnin' Rich?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Hey all

when i start my car, it spits out all this black crap out the exhaust. at first i thought it was because the car was runnin too rich so i kept drivin it and gettin between 300-400 Ks outta a long range fuel tank and using cruz control 85% of the time.

i got my mate to speak to his mechanic for me and he said 'the car has prob been jump started and its fried up the computer (the cars been jump started twice in 4 years) which has caused the comp to think its always cold makin it pump more fuel i.e it to run rich' in the end he said the rings are prob stuffed

has anyone else ran into this prob, and how do i go bout fixin the comp an at what price?

Thanks

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
Hey all

when i start my car, it spits out all this black crap out the exhaust. at first i thought it was because the car was runnin too rich so i kept drivin it and gettin between 300-400 Ks outta a long range fuel tank and using cruz control 85% of the time.

i got my mate to speak to his mechanic for me and he said 'the car has prob been jump started and its fried up the computer (the cars been jump started twice in 4 years) which has caused the comp to think its always cold makin it pump more fuel i.e it to run rich' in the end he said the rings are prob stuffed

has anyone else ran into this prob, and how do i go bout fixin the comp an at what price?

Thanks

That really doesn't sound right! If your ecu was stuffed your car won't run! Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That black crap outta the exhaust shows it's running rich. Chances are if you look at your spark plugs they'd be pretty black too from all the carbon deposits. 400km's out of a tank is pretty good. I'd be looking at checking your air filter. I doubt your rings are stuffed, that guy sounds dodgy! You can get a compression test done to confirm this either way.

Also check your ECU for fault codes, could be oxygen sensor or even coolant temp. sensor. Coolant temp sensor = around $25. Oxygen sensors = around $60

Try the air filter first, it'll cost around $20 and check the ECU for faults (look at the how-to guides).

Good luck:)

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i'd say give the car a service and go from there.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
That really doesn't sound right! If your ecu was stuffed your car won't run!
This is the second mech. that has said that. it doesnt completly stuff the comp. from what i was told, it now thinks the engine is always cold, makin it poor more fuel into the system.

400km's out of a tank is pretty good. I'd be looking at checking your air filter. I doubt your rings are stuffed, that guy sounds dodgy! You can get a compression test done to confirm this either way.
my mate gets 350 Ks outta a normal tank, my car has the long range so i shuld be gettin round the 500 mark plus i always run prem. fuel because its the lil bit cleaner. ive got a BMC hi-flow filter, and it the car never changed before or after i put one in. to be honest i never met the guy, my mate talked to him for me, hes my mate mech and my mate is always happy with his work.

Also check your ECU for fault codes, could be oxygen sensor or even coolant temp. sensor. Coolant temp sensor = around $25. Oxygen sensors = around $60.
yea i gotta get sumthings checked out but i already changed the crank angle sensor and the oxy sensors.

JDZVNHSV said:
i'd say give the car a service and go from there
i gave her a service 2-3 weekend agos. she chewed through a liter n a half of oil. shes had this problem for bout 20 thous K's

yyg998vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Blue VS ute 5spd
Why did you replace the crank angle,

like was the car jolting when you started it up and turned it off

if so,

Mine smells like it has a fuel leak, no black **** though

I had a auto electrician say that the crank angle the leads, the coil pack were practically dead

like it was missing

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
i got my mate to speak to his mechanic for me and he said 'the car has prob been jump started and its fried up the computer (the cars been jump started twice in 4 years) which has caused the comp to think its always cold makin it pump more fuel i.e it to run rich'

Thanks

None of that is true. Crank angle/dfi module/ leads are unrealated to your problem.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Why did you replace the crank angle,

like was the car jolting when you started it up and turned it off

if so,

Mine smells like it has a fuel leak, no black **** though

I had a auto electrician say that the crank angle the leads, the coil pack were practically dead

like it was missing

If your car smells like fuel after you refill, you probably have decayed fuel vapour return hoses. If you take the small panel off behind the drivers rear wheel, you can probably see them. They wont cause you any problem, except the occasional smell when you refill. If your lazy, just replace what you can with some new hose and adaptors. If your keen, drain the fuel tank and drop it from the car, and replace the hoses that way.

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
have similar problem with my VS spitting out black stuff and only getting 300kms a tank sounds like a similar problem, i changed spark plug leads and air filter and its stopped spitting out black stuff cant comment on fuel economy yet as i have not filled it up since

Let me know how you go anyway because im interested, i have a feeling my car is running cold also causing extra fuel being used

But never heard the ECU theory before