Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running 4 Speakers Off a 2 Channel Amp?

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Is it possible? I have my 6.5" splits hooked up to the amp at the moment, but its really not enough, i want to put some 6x9's in as well.
The Amp is an Alpine 50x2 RMS. Will this amp have enough power to run the 4 speakers, or would i need a 4 channel with more power? I am getting bad distortion at the moment because im turning my little splits up too loud, i need the 6x9's so they can handle the bass and volume better.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Basically, no. For many reasons mate, no you can't do that.
By the sounds of it your splits might not be tuned right or may be over/under powered which is causing the distortion.

If you want bass, its much better to go for a basic sub, get a 4channel amp still and run 2 channels to the sub and 2 channels to the splits.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
In short, you can easily run both the splits and the 6x9s off a decent 2 channel amp. Although as the speakers arent the same (6" splits and 6x9s) you will find that the splits will start to distort before the 6x9s will, so basically the 6x9s will only play as loud as the splits do.
Either disconnect the splits from the amp and run them off the head-unit while running the 6x9s off the amp (so you have fader controls and the 6x9s can play as loud as they can) or buy yourself a decent 4ch. amp to power all four speakers. Next time get something with 80-120wrms per channel ;)

EDIT: Or just do what sweefu suggested and buy a sub and a 4ch. This will give you more bass and the ability to cut the bass from going to the splits, which means they'll play louder. But it is a dearer option.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Well i was wrong haha i thought it would have given power/impendance issues with a most likely 4ohm stable 2x50wrms amp?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Well i was wrong haha i thought it would have given power/impendance issues with a most likely 4ohm stable 2x50wrms amp?

If it isnt 2 ohm stable you could run the speakers in series to produce an 8ohm impedence per channel. I reckon it would sound like poo though.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Almost all 2 ch amps are 2 ohm stable stereo (not bridged). Only the really cheap and nasty ones would probably smoke ;)

luket125

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S 2
run your 6x9s from your 2 channel giving them a large amount of power and attempt to buy a 4 channel amp to run your splits, with the possibility of also running sub(s)

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Either disconnect the splits from the amp and run them off the head-unit while running the 6x9s off the amp

Good idea, i was thinking that before. I know the head unit produces stuff all power, but if i just ran the splits off that and gave the 6x9's the amps power. That should give me plenty of volume and better mid-bass should'nt it? When i said bass before, i did'nt mean like doof doof bass, i just like a nice solid mid-bass in my music without distortion, i don't think i need a sub.
Oh and im only in a Ute not a Sedan.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Oh you have a ute, where are you going to mount 6x9s?
What splits do you have currently? As I think you could get the result you want by simply upgrading the components you have in there, as opposed to adding more gear. If you were to upgrade to something like a set of Digital Designs splits and a decent 2ch amp with between 100-150wrms per channel. I personally have these splits in my car being fed 150wrms each, these are the only speakers in my system and keep me satisfied.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Oh you have a ute, where are you going to mount 6x9s?
What splits do you have currently? As I think you could get the result you want by simply upgrading the components you have in there, as opposed to adding more gear. If you were to upgrade to something like a set of Digital Designs splits and a decent 2ch amp with between 100-150wrms per channel. I personally have these splits in my car being fed 150wrms each, these are the only speakers in my system and keep me satisfied.

They are Fusion Powerplant 6.5" splits. I don't want to upgarde, i spent nearly $250 on these not long ago. I would mount 6x9's behind the seats, i have a place worked out for them so they will fit in properly.