Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running head unit off amp

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
lol oh dear..... =/

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK (takes deep breath).

Yes you can connect an aftermarket head-unit to an amplifier, you do this via RCA cables (like the ones that go to your TV from your dvd player etc). These cables plug into the "RCA preouts" on the back of the head-unit and then are ran to the amplifier (under the carpet or trim panels) where they plug into the inputs of the amp. On the outputs of the amp you can connect speakers or subwoofer/s depending on the amplifier model.

To be honest, your much better off going to a quality car audio store and telling the salesman what sort of upgrades you want (or what sort of sound you want). Then he/she can direct you to the appropriate products you'll need. They will also install it all for you, then run you through the installation and what to do / what not to do.

Hope this sheds some light ;)

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
Thanks mate.. Yea it may seem im coming across like a dumb c**t, really what i should have said is i want the amp hooked up to JUST the head unit no speakers, so basically speakers to HU, HU to amp if that makes sense. Im just looking for better quality by running it from the amp..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Errr what?

OK
Head unit is a source, it processes all the sound signals and sends them to the appropriate component.
An amplifier, recieves the audio signal from the source (your headunit) and them provide's power to speakers.
Following so far?
The amplifier connects to your head unit.
Your speakers connect to the amplifier.

Don't attempt to do any of this yourself. I've never seen anyone blow themselves up from installing car audio, but i'd hate for you to be the first!!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
So there is no way possible of receiving better sound/power from my head unit without replacing it?

Ofcourse there is, you can use whatever you want as a source. But, adding an external amplifier, to increase the amount of power that your standard speakers will see, would not be considered good value for money, unless you were going to upgrade other components within your system.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
so what you meant to say is;
"I wanna keep my head unit, and use the current speakers, but i wanna put an amp in for better sound"
?????