Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running in a new VE 6Litre

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
What are the recommendations on running in a new 6L?
I once heard that it was good to vary driving style, vary revs. warm it up hit the rev limiter sometimes cruise at different revs.
I know my mate used to get go cart race motors built and when he asked about running it in the builder said do a few laps to warm it up, and then treat it like you hate it, then do a few laps to cool down.
I know the computer learns so this sounds good to me.
Thoughts???

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
i was told (not by the dealer) that when running in a motor
1: dont drive for long distances at a constant speed / rpm
2: dont rev it too hard like 4000+
3: et it warm up before you drive it ... which should be done anyway

not sure how good this advice is but it seems to have worked for me so yeah

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Look in the manual it should have correct instructions for your cars run in period as you'll get as many opinions on running in as you will have had hot dinners from different people.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Engines these days don't need to be run in like the old ones do. Just drive it normally.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
And get the oil and filter done at the 3000km service, or do it yourself much cheaper.

talljoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Hey,

- Manual says moderate acceleration for first 1000kms
- Heavy acceleration for 1000kms-3000kms
- No heavy launching.
^^ Check all these in your manual, this is from memory.

I gave it 1/2-3/4 throttle for first 1000km, going occassionally up to about 5800rpm
Then 100% throttle in first for 1000km-3000km, and obviously I still do that occassionally now (at 5000kms), up to 5800rpm as well.

There is nowhere around my area to do heavy acceleration in second, you will hit 100km/hr (and risk your license). I spent a lot of time doing around town driving cruising at 60. I tried to vary it when I could - pull off to a side road, then restart it from 0-60 again. I went up to 80 sometimes too.

I got the oil changed at 3000km with Mobil 1 and the filter done too.

My car was dyno'd at 207rwkw recently it is a SS manual ute. That is SLIGHTLY low from what I've seen, but it may be the engine itself not just the way I ran it in.

I just got it tuned with Walkinshaw and it's now 235rwkw with a CAI (but no exhaust). $1500 tune, it goes pretty well now, much the same as stock though really (it is different but not OH MY GOD ITS A DIFFERENT CAR). For comparison stock Maloo's dyno at 245rwkw, so mine probably has around 300kw at the flywheel. I quite like it :)

Might be selling it soon (gf wants house), wonder what I could get... 33k-35k? hmm...

HellSoldier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SV6
Motors these days are actually quality tested and run in prior to being put into the car - Check youtube for the construction of a VE, they actually show you.

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
It's fair enough to subscribe to the "drive it like you stole it" way of thinking when you're only driving a 1.6 Fiesta, but when you're driving a big V8 it's a little tough. If I drive my SSV hard all the time I'd be pulled over by the fuzz every 10 minutes!

Every 2nd person you speak to has a different opinion. I've spoken to a handful of mechanics who contradict each other's opinions. My best mate (a Holden mechanic) says "drive it hard", a bloke I work with (Holden workshop foreman for 25 years) says "take it easy for at least 1000km.

To me it does stand to reason that engines these days aren't the same as older engines.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i was told (not by the dealer) that when running in a motor
1: dont drive for long distances at a constant speed / rpm
2: dont rev it too hard like 4000+
3: et it warm up before you drive it ... which should be done anyway

not sure how good this advice is but it seems to have worked for me so yeah

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No.

The point of not having it sit on constant revs is so you don't glaze the bores. This is most likely to happen at startup when idling. Get in it, start it and drive it. Just be gentle for the first 1000km or so. RTFM - it's all there.

Reaper