Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running out of power half way through a skid please help

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
We have just brought a skid car for skid comps, it's a vp V6 which has ported an polished heads and larger valves fitted with a cam an chip package which gets nearly 200 Hp, now we took it for a test skid last night an halfway through the skid it seems to lose power an stall with no fault codes come up then starts ok. We replaced the leads sparkplugs, alternator and coil packs all of which hasnt helped at all it also seems to want to chuck oil out cos we found the dipstick half hanging out an throttle body full of oil, I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump not keeping up cos it idles perfectly.
how much can a stock v6 fuel pump handle? and would I be able to replace the v6 pump with the vn V8 ones (internal an external)?
and why is it wanting to chuck it's oil out?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Pushing oil usually means your rings are worn and you are getting excessive crankcase pressure, in short, generally means its f****d.
Could be fuel pressure, worth a check. Pumps you can mix and match all you want.
If its getting that much oil in the intake it may be fouling the plugs as well.

A V6 isnt the greatest starting point for a burnout car IMO, you really need the cubes of the V8 unless you spend big $$ on the V6.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
The oil prob. Probably has pressure from the compression strokes.
Try getting a compression test.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
Nuthin wrong with V6's it's all on how u use the pad, I won ladies revheads last year at narrogin with a stock v6 against 3 high powered v8s an a supercharged 6 volvo but in saying that we have been through 3 stock v6 motors in the last 12 months (lucky they didnt cost us anything) and also snapped 2 axles all in good fun.
But thanks for ur advice will try the compression test an see how it goes

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
Put a catchcan in and vent it to the atmosphere

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Could be a number of things.

You need to set up a decent cold air intake, as the engine heats up it increased the AFR's to stop it pinging which costs you power. You need to vent the engine properly, having oil in avery hot engine bay with red hot exhaust manifolds is asking for trouble. Catch can is a must. Make sure the cooling system is up to scratch and possibly wire in a thermo fan override switch (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-fit-thermo-fan-bypass-switch.53659
) so that your not waiting on the engine to get real hot before the thermo fan kicks in. fit a 82 degree thermostat. If it's a auto trans equipped car fit the biggest trans cooler you can can find and fit a small thermo fan on that also. And consider getting some of these http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...168233-v6-billet-alloy-pulleys-group-buy.html

If it's a dedicated burn out car maybe consider setting up a twin TB manifold with 2 throttle bodies stick up out of the bonnet, great cold air source too and prevents the issues with the rear cylinders leaning out some.

The stock V6 pump is capable of handling about 200rwkw if it's in good condition. For circle work consider fitting a surge tank, nothing worse then swinging the ass around and having the engine lean out because of a lack of fuel at the pump pick up. Good way to kill a engine

Fit a oil pressure gauge and engine temp. I'd consider fitting ecotec oil pressure relief spring so that it has plenty of oil pressure to sustain high revs. decide on that your max temps/minimum oil pressures are so you know when it's time to quit the pad if you want to save the engine.

And put up some of your skid videos :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
This was my first ever skid comp
Narrogin Rev Heads 2010 Ladies Burnout Winner - YouTube
My car at collie on fathers day this year
Collie Fathers day skids 2011 HERTOY first skid comp - YouTube

Found out wat the problem is she's got 2 stuffed rings, I done a compression test this morning an number 3 an 4 have compression readings of 206 KPa an 137 KPa and the other 4 have just over 1000 KPa. With our other skid cars hubby wired up a second fan infront of the radiator with a switch in the cabin so they pretty much run constantly while doing a skid an with the holes in the bonnet you can see when it gets too hot an the radiator overflow bottle blows it's load an spurts out like a whales spout lol thats wen its time to call it quits so far they havent got reallly hot plus we have the air filter comming straight out the bonnet from the throttle body so shes sucking straight cold air in. We r only doing skid comps cos the cars dont cost us much an we do all the work ourselves, I've got a vn 5lt that I've just started putting into comps too and she absolutly loves it (has never run better)
Thanks for all the info peoples much appreciated