Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running Rich..?

swiftymcfeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais Turbo
Running Rich or fuel leak??

Hey there,

On saturday i went and picked up my new VL :D

Just been keeping an eye out for any problems that may occur and i can smell a fairly strong petrol smell as if the car is running way to rich... Im new to VL's and dont know much at all so im asking for help here! haha

From what i know, its a VLC turbo with an n/a conversion (p plater friendly)

Ill get a "my car" thread going soon enough :p

http://i.imgur.com/H3AQZ.jpg

Cheers and hope u can help...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
So i have now fixed my exhaust leak and blown dizzy and its honestly running like a brand new car. But the fuel smell is still there, maybe even worse. MOST of the time you can small it fairly strong inside the car and sometimes can even smell it when standing outside the car after driving.
My fuel usage is much higher than it should be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2 - ERROR CODES!
These are displayed (along with the others that are meant to be)
11 Crank angle sensor circuit
12 Air flow meter circuit
21 ignition signal circuit

ANY IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 3!
Found where the fuel is coming from! Im not all that great when it comes to engine work but from what i can see the injectors are all surrounded by leaking fuel. Enough to cause the smell that is getting me high on my hour long drive to work! Here is what im talking about:

MZMmq.jpg

I also following the guide on how to adjust your AFM and i turned the screw half a full turn clockwise to try make it leaner. Did not really make a difference though?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took another pic for you :)

http://i.imgur.com/6ldWb.jpg

More pics in sunlight and of interior yet to come lol

Last edited:

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
My car usually smells like petrol sometimes, but not too often that I worry about it. It runs fine regardless so I don't think anything is up. Is your smells always there?

swiftymcfeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais Turbo
Well yea it gets pretty strong, and there is a fairly noticable leak/hole in the exhaust up near the headers which is causing some problems (im hoping thats the cause, if its not i wont be happy haha). Once i pay rego ill patch it up and go from there i guess.

Thankyou, i cant wait for CFC this year haha!

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
re-reading your post, I wonder if it has anything to do with the turbo-to-NA conversion that was done on it? I don't know much about fuel injection, but could it be possible that there were larger injectors installed, and once the turbo was removed etc, the injectors are squirting too much fuel in?

See if it was a carby I could probably sound like I knew more since I know more about carbies :p

swiftymcfeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais Turbo
It is fuel injected, and i THINK he put an NA engine in, rather than removing the turbo from the existing engine. I really need to obtain more details when purchasing cars haha. Well ive withheld the last bit of the payment untill he gets a few things that he promised so next meet up ill get what info i need haha then update my post.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Just been keeping an eye out for any problems that may occur and i can smell a fairly strong petrol smell as if the car is running way to rich...

What colour is the exhaust?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
search the forums for running rich man... its been covered plenty of times....

nice car love the color...a few things can cause running rich problem...

it could be the vapour lines from the fuel tank have split hence the strong petrol smell... have a sniff in ur boot and around your back seat/behind rear wheel under the guard,,, i wont call u an abo either,

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
petrol smell is usually as detox_Nath has said around the back of the car near the wheel arch, it could be vapour lines also if it is in the engine bay check your fuel in and out lines also the little rubber hoses to your injectors.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
What colour is that cobalt blue????