Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running Two Amps

MJU92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2010 SV6 Series ll
Hey gents,

I'm currently running a Kicker ZX300.1 amplifier for my Subs and am about to purchase some speakers (will will have to be powered).

Is it better to run everything off a High RMS amp or two seperately ones?

At what point will drawing so much power from my battery affect my car's performance?

Cheers

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Hey gents,

I'm currently running a Kicker ZX300.1 amplifier for my Subs and am about to purchase some speakers (will will have to be powered).

Is it better to run everything off a High RMS amp or two seperately ones?

At what point will drawing so much power from my battery affect my car's performance?

Cheers

2 amps is best. What gauge is your current power wire?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
It will say on the cable itself. It will have a number than GA. So 4GA or 8GA, or something like that. Or just take a picture.

MJU92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2010 SV6 Series ll
they used a Sony SONY8GA 4 Channel 8 Gauge Amp Wiring Kit

patrick niesler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Keep the 300.1 and run another 2/4channel amp for the speakers. with having 8ga wire through the car you will have to run through another power wire for the new amp as the 8ga isn't large enough to power 2 amps.

coynie

Reaction score
Members Ride
08' VE Commodore
It all comes down to what you want, while it is possible to buy 5 channel amps which could run everything, from the look of your system already it would be easier and cheaper to just go out and buy another 4 channel amp. In terms of affecting your car performance, sound systems draw current (your car has an altinator with a 120amp max). Meaning your car may rev higher when you turn your sound system up. Lights may dim as well but it all affects how much power you draw. 4 80 watt speakers will affectively double your power usage on top of what you have now. (your sub are running off a 300 watt monoblock right??). I've heard of sound systems alot more powerful not being a hassle straight off a stock altinator so you should be alright. In terms of wiring- 8 guage will run up to around 70 amps (American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies) <-- for reference. Practically I would go with what patrick is saying because its alot more dangerous to splice in extra parts to wire and unless you know what your doing the chances of short circuits are definately there but I dont see you pulling anywhere near to 70 amps continuosly. Im pretty sure the altinator would burn out alot quicker? If you do notice an increase in revs and dimming of lights just chuck in a decent capacitor (and install it right, they can hold a LOT of charge and if you short it you might not be around to know about it). Hope I helped in some way.