Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust hole in boot (spare wheel well)

AussieCanuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series II SV6
Water has probably been pooling up in the spare wheel well, in the boot, for years. I've owned the car for under a month, and only made the discovery yesterday.

Removing the spare wheel reveals a rust hole of enormous proportions. The ground below can clearly be seen. Its only a matter or time, it seems, before the entire wheel falls out.

I've taken the wheel out to allow the area to dry out while I figure out what to do next.

I'm wondering what people's suggestions are for fixing this problem. Cut away the rust and weld on a new sheet of metal? If that's the case, then it looks like I'll have to cut away quite a bit. Might not have much of a floor left afterward.

Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Regards

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
I'm not sure about commodores but i know of a person who had the same problem with his evo and he got anoher one cut another wheel well out of another car and weld into his.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
you obviously have water leaking into your boot probably from your back /quarter windows so you might have to address that first but I would get another bottom section from a wreck and weld it in but leave the bottom hole open so water can get out if it gets in and cover any bare metal with anti rust coating .Mine had the start of some rust so I fixed that and took out the quarter windows and sealed them with windscreen sealer and then covered eveything metal in fisholene and after it was fixed I left the hole open in the bottom...no dramas since

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I just shapped up a bit of galve sheeting and with a bit of Selley's all clear stuck it over the top of the large hole and fixed it in place once set with a few pop rivits. I treated the rusty bits with rust kill first. Painted it all in a heavy coat of black paint and put the spare back into place. Cant see it any more :)

And also re-sealed the rear qtr windows as well.

AussieCanuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series II SV6
Thanks for the help guys. Gives me some ideas on how to approach the issue. I found the thread on the how to fix the leaky quarter window. Good write-up that is.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
I have that same bloody problem, what a pain in the arse. I had a leak in the tail light covers and the water overflowed into the wheel well. The result, a one inch sized hole which could get worse. It was recommended that i cut out the rust, rust kill, then bog and paint. Gotta get off my arse before it gets worse.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Once you have properly treated the rust, couldn't you just fibreglass it up? or is that a bit dodgy? I mean it's not exactly a structual point.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Once you have properly treated the rust, couldn't you just fibreglass it up? or is that a bit dodgy? I mean it's not exactly a structual point.

It probably is in a high speed rear end smash?

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
A fibreglass repair kit would be better than nothing, but how would it hold up in the long run? Anyone tried this before?

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
very common problem throughout the v series commodores .if you have access to a welder it only takes a short time to weld in a patch .............unless it has been let go to long
I have fixed 3 of them so far for people and have another one i have to do soon