Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust in Wheel Arch

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I worked at Fords in the Uk between 1977 and 1983. The bare metal body shells would go through what was known as the electrolyte dip before painting. Would this be the same?

Given their propensity for rusting away, I would suggest not.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
In one of my Australian motoring history books is a photo of a Mk2 Zephyr with the lower half coated in some sort of black rustproofing. It states that the same procedure was used for the XK Falcons.
My Zephyr was 13 years old when I sold it ......... no rust.
My HK Kingswood was 5 years old when I sold it ......... full of rust.
Ummmmm ?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
In one of my Australian motoring history books is a photo of a Mk2 Zephyr with the lower half coated in some sort of black rustproofing. It states that the same procedure was used for the XK Falcons.
My Zephyr was 13 years old when I sold it ......... no rust.
My HK Kingswood was 5 years old when I sold it ......... full of rust.
Ummmmm ?
My job was to fit clips to all doors, bonnet and boot lids to keep them in a slightly open position while they went through the dip.
On lifting the bonnets, I’d often discover surface rust on the underside, and when I’d point this out to the foreman he’d just say don’t worry about it. So that meant somebody was going to get a rusty car when it was brand new:(

So those people who keep buying Fords, just remember what the word Ford actually means.

F = Fucked
O= Over
R = Repeatedly
D = Dopes

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
So that meant somebody was going to get a rusty car when it was brand new:(
My HK was built in Pagewood, and I had an uncle who lived within a few blocks of the plant.
He told me that it was not unusual to see unpainted body shells to sitting in the open spaces.
I reckon my HK must have been sitting for yonks.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I worked at Fords in the Uk between 1977 and 1983. The bare metal body shells would go through what was known as the electrolyte dip before painting. Would this be the same?
Not IIRC. Pretty sure the electrolyte dip is purely to help the paint stick to the car. The article I linked said they weren’t really able to do car galvanising until hot dip galvanising became a thing.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My job was to fit clips to all doors, bonnet and boot lids to keep them in a slightly open position while they went through the dip.
On lifting the bonnets, I’d often discover surface rust on the underside, and when I’d point this out to the foreman he’d just say don’t worry about it. So that meant somebody was going to get a rusty car when it was brand new:(

So those people who keep buying Fords, just remember what the word Ford actually means.

F = Fucked
O= Over
R = Repeatedly
D = Dopes

Found
On
Rubbish
Dumps