Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust ... The Evil Part of owning a car

1dvsbstd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES II 2016
its best to cut it out ,weld a plate in, sink the plate slightly and lead wipe it but filling with lead and file finishing these days dosent get practiced much, so body filler is ok, do it properly the first time and treat the cause of the rust and it wont come back dont waste your time just filling it because it will bubble up in no time.

cheers mate:)

1dvsbstd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES II 2016
its best to cut it out ,weld a plate in, sink the plate slightly and lead wipe it but filling with lead and file finishing these days dosent get practiced much, so body filler is ok, do it properly the first time and treat the cause of the rust and it wont come back dont waste your time just filling it because it will bubble up in no time.

cheers mate:) thanks for the info!

VRMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station Wagon
it really depends how deep the rust is, you mentioned rust remover, well if its just surface rust it may well be worth sanding / wire brushing it out until it resembles metal again, rust converting it, which makes it deozidized ie, not rust, then just coat it with rustprep or something like that, just my opinion, cutting out stuff that doesnt need cutting out sounds mighty rough to me

1dvsbstd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES II 2016
it really depends how deep the rust is, you mentioned rust remover, well if its just surface rust it may well be worth sanding / wire brushing it out until it resembles metal again, rust converting it, which makes it deozidized ie, not rust, then just coat it with rustprep or something like that, just my opinion, cutting out stuff that doesnt need cutting out sounds mighty rough to me

well... My mate wayne eg Frankinstein.. had a look at it yesterday.. He said depending on how i go i may need someone to weld in a new boot floor .. but im going to check it all out today and see how i go... as this car is a project im not giving up so easily because of some damm rust:) but yeah cheers for the info mate much apreciated:)